Posts by muddpuppy

I'm not a member, but it's my understanding that they get discounts at certain supply stores... That's what I heard anyway..
Oh sorry, while he was yelling at me that he had changed his date, he said he was cancelling and would make his own cake....
Hi!! I always use the wilton hidden pillars and a separater plate! I can get sps but it's not at the supply store I like.. lol.. I find that if I mark my fondant then cut out a little circle where the pillar is going to go instead of just pushing it in that there is less damage..then after all the pillars are in I just pop on the plate.
I swear, there is some sort of moon wobble going on cause I have had nothing but disasters all month!! First, my laptop is fried, then I miss the polka dots on a top tier. My hot pink roses came out coral... I broke a porcelin cake topper and had to replace it... Then after chasing a groom-zilla for his week over due payment, he calls me the day before his wedding and says wheres my cake? ... R U kidding me??!! Then he proceeds to tell me that he sent me a message changing...
I once used a rotating dessert stand from WalMart.. it was made by GE i think..was 3 tiers, but you can take it apart.... maybe take a peek around your local store...
bakingpw -> that's so what I wanted to hear.. lol.. I was hoping by taking on a partner that they could handle the retail store front leaving me free for custom orders and expansion plans.. lol.. I dunno... Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!
Just a side note to clarify...I am my own full time employee.. lol..I'm a custom design service, not a day to day retail shop. I could run my shop with day to day sales and that mean more time/money/aggrevation. Not that that is the direction I want to go in...lol..Thanks for all the responses!!
Hey CCr's! If anyone can understand the stress of building a cake business it's you guys!! Please feel free to give me any and all opinions / advice / ideas!!!So, here's the deal, I've been legally in business for 5 years, everything is going well, progressing and I was able to open a store front location this past spring! No more coffee shop meetings for me! lol..My issue is that it's incredably taxing! Time and money wise! I have one part time employee, but I'm not...
I found the best place to gather info was to get hold of your cities by-laws and read through it.. I'm pretty sure the rules are the same everywhere in terms of separte kitchen, commercal zoning, non-residental rentals etc... talk to the liscencing board, he health department, and zoning... they'll prolly tell you three different things, lol...but you'll get it figured out!!
I mix gel colour with vodka and use that.. works great..