Posts by ckeel127

Can you please give me ideas on how I can create the top tier.  It looks like it's brown with a black/used look.  It also looks buttercream so please let me know what suggestions you can think of using buttercream tactics.   It looks like it may have been airbrushed or two colors melded together....not really sure.   Any help would be appreciated?
Has anyone tried using these molds with buttercream as the base?  I purchased my onlays and as very excited to use them but was having trouble removing my fondant from the mold without stretching it's shape.  I was trying to put them on a buttercream cake I had and it was only "hacking" my buttercream (even though the cake was chilled).  Does anyone have any tricks or tips I could use?  I really want to use them but got a little frustrated when I tried decorating my...
I'm interested in making a jewelry cake but I'm not quite sure where to start.  Can I just buy the jewelry from my local craft store (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby or Michaels) and attach to the cake.  It won't go directly on the cake since there will be fondant circles holding the jewelry and the circles would be taken off before cut (so it never actually touches the cake).   I don't think the cake jewelry is edible so is it OK to just buy the regular stuff from the craft...
I have a cake that is due tomorrow and I'm in a bit of a bind. One of the cakes was supposed to be iced with red whip cream. Well I wasn't able to get the whip cream red...the best I could do was get it dark pink. Whip cream is a bit "testy" so I couldn't 'play' it as much as I would like to. So I switched over to buttercream. I used an entire gel tube of No Taste Red and was able to finally get it red but it taste horrible!!! Even though it says No Taste Red it...
Thanks all!
I'm suppose to make a cake this week that has cool whip as the icing (I know this isn't a good idea but customer wants it like this). My problem is that it's supposed to be dyed red and I know cool whip doesn't really hold well. I''m assuming that as I add the red dye, it will start to 'melt'. Is there any way to stiffen cool whip and add the red dye to it as well?Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking online and have yet to find...
Why on earth would you want to quit. You make AMAZING cakes and have such a beautiful talent. You could continue to go after your dream. I try to learn something with every project I take on and this would definitely be a learning experience. I'm sure this will NEVER happen again because you know better now. The next time anyone tries to get a "free" cake, you'll turn the other way (especially if they're not family or a close friend).Please don't get discouraged. ...
I'm looking to make an algebra cake and my idea was to put a few algebraic formulas on the cake -- one being F(x) but I don't know where to get a parenthesis mold. Michael's, AC Moore and my local cake craft store doesn't have it. I searched on the internet and didn't see anything either. Any ideas on how I can make this mold. I'm looking to make this formula F(x) as the main cake topper on the top layer cake so I wanted it to be standing up (like 3-D)Please help!
I made my candy clay by using the Wilton candy melt and added corn syrup as recommended by all. Some pieces came out great while others are crumbling (it's hard to softened because it just crumbles all over the place). Can I somehow salvage it by adding something to it? Can I add oil/shortening or even more corn syrup or do I have to scrap it and start all over again.Please help!
I'm looking to make a baby shower cake and will be making a small oval cake as the crib (topper). I would also like to add a baby mobile to the crib but am a bit unsure how to start. Does anyone have any ideas???? The plan is to have a few figurines hanging off the mobile (again it will be small).Would love your ideas/suggestions!