Posts by catlharper

Leilo, your strawberry cake is very cute! Are you having fun with the classes? I sat in with one that my daughter was taking and it seemed like you learn a lot of stuff very quickly! How cool!   SPC, your groundhog cake is very very cute! Love all the adorable details! And I'm always partial to "under the sea" cakes...I'm such a beach baby! LOL! (Oh, and you are so right...photographing purple is awful!!!)   tdove...this year I'm so very happy that I had a break in...
Hi Everyone! I'm finally done with my order. And I'm exhausted! This is the first order I have done with my hand out of the cast and man, it wasn't easy. Glad I don't have a full fondant cake for two more weeks! I can't take photos of the cupcakes yet because they have picks for them and I can't place those till the party tomorrow but I did take a cell phone photo of the smash cake:     I'll take more at the party so you can see how the whole set up looks. Each...
Hi everyone!   I'm actively working on an order tonight so I'll be in and out! Beginning 60 cupcakes right after I eat dinner and then decorating the smash cake and special cupcake for the two birthday kids! I'll post later if I can actually get them done and have enough light! If not then I'll post next week. Hope everyone had a great week!   Cat
Opening up another session of the FNCC! This is a place for you to share your week, share photos of your work, ask for help or provide help if you can! Hope to see lots of photos tonight!   Cat
Oh my gosh I HATE that feeling of running out of time and knowing you are sacrificing something just to get it out of the door. The wonderful thing is that we are the only ones to ever notice what didn't turn out exactly how we wanted it to or what we had to leave off of our design due to time. We see what it should have been and they see what it is...and they are overjoyed! We are SO hard on ourselves! 
Cakealicious,   The cake looks great! The only tips I have is to make sure the ganache is perfectly smooth under the fondant and to make the fondant a bit thicker for a smoother appearance on the pillows and, lastly, whenever your "trim" is supposed to be fabric remember that it never lies straight. Fabric flows so on a cake the fondant needs to roll or fold or something to show that it's fabric. On this particular cake it's the trim only. But that is all being terribly...
I am so glad everyone posted updates!   Lizzie...so sorry to hear you had the crud! I have several friends who have had chest infections this winter. Glad you are so much better. The cake is gorgeous! A LOT of work but simply divine!   Nadia...being a party planner I love party days!!! And don't feel weird about planning cakes a few months in advance. I do it every year for my kids...I usually start planning the next year as soon as the present year's cake is done!...
I always turn down the heat for larger than 8 inch cakes or cakes that are 3 inches or taller per layer. When doubling recipes I just double it..everything. Never occurred to me to decrease the leavening! LOL! Maybe I've just been really lucky?   Cat
I've not had a problem with a 12 inch before, tho' I've only made a few of them so I don't have a LOT of experience. I don't use a heating core but, rather, flower nails instead. 1 in an 8 inch, 2 in a 10 inch and 3 in a 12 inch. This helps it cook more evenly. If yours fell it's always possible it wasn't really totally cooked in the center. Were you baking for longer at a lower temperature? I bake my larger cakes at 325 or 300 for longer so it gives them time to cook in...
SPC.that cake is really wonderful. Sorry to hear the fondant didn't work out right. I use my tried and true each time, altho I'm nervous about making it for the first time in 3 months soon!  Sorry to hear about your hand too! The dr said that there is some "modeling" that may cause me problems later on but he also said that it wouldn't be a problem if I did the PT...wonder if he was just trying to scare me? LOL!     Gerle...what problem are you having with the 12inch?...