Posts by sugardaze

Hi,   I ran into the same problem when I tried baking my god-daughter's "First Communion" cake.   You will need to purchase a heating core for baking cakes that are larger than 9" in diameter. Your local craft store such as Michael's carries the Wilton Heating Core (that is the place I purchased it from and I'm located in Canada). The heating core is set inside the center of the pan before it is filled with batter (lightly greased on both the inside and the...
Does anyone care to share their vanilla cake recipe? LOL
What is the difference? Or is there a difference? I have a request for a vanilla birthday cake. I have been using "Sugarflowers" White cake recipe which is fantastic but I noticed that the title does not state vanilla. I basically want the same type of vanilla cake you find in the grocery store bakeries. I do want to try autobuni's "Moist Vanilla Cake" recipe, but I was just curious if there was a difference in white and vanilla or do the two words mean the same thing?Kind...
I fell in love with this cake from a fellow CC member and I was wondering how the dog was made. She mentioned in her post that she used three cupcakes. I'm guessing the grass tip for the fur.Doe anyone know how to make this cute little dog?Also do I need to stake the bottom cake and place a board to prevent the dog from sinking into the cake or is it light enough not to damage the cake. TIA[/img]
Hi, all.I'm working on my son's First Communion cake due this Saturday. I'm using the giant cross (feeds 30). I'm making a 3-D gold chalice as well as gumpaste grape leaves with some grapes. I would like to make some wheat but I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any instructions they can post? TIA.
Thank you for your replies. I will tell my client to inform the restaurant to serve wedding size servings and she should have more than enought.
Good afternoon, all.I had my sister's boss request a 2-tier square cake for a 75th birthday. She told me that it needs to feed approximately 70 people and she wanted it to be tiny servings since there would be other desserts.I figured an 8" and 10" square would be enough. I already baked the 8". Now, she tells me there would be approx. 75 people and the extra dessert are take home gifts. I calculated that the 2-tiers would serve 78 people. A fellow baker said that it would...
Hello to all.I have my first non-family member quote request for a damask wedding cake. It's for 40 people and she would like it to be 2 round tiers.What size of pans could I use to accomodate the 40 people?Also, how much should I charge? She wants to use the colors black, white and turqoise.
If the cake is dry than a customer deserves a refund as it is not their fault but the baker's. My teacher would have it drawn up in her contract so that customers would know that the cake (or leftovers of it) would have to be returned for "dry claims" in order to get refunds. Also, the cake would have to be returned the next morning to counteract the effects that time has on a cake.Refunds are based on the amount of cake returned. It's not the best measure, but at least it...
My teacher had a great way with dealing with customers who complained about the dryness of the cake:In order to verify whether a cake was dry or not she would request the return of the cake and the refund was based on the quantity of cake returned:She offered a full refund if 100% of the cake was returned.She offered half a refund for the return of half a cake.No cake no refund.By the return of the cake she can gauge whether the cake was dry or not.