Posts by selbel2000

Hi,I've never tried molding candy before but I've been asked to make white chocolate seashells to be used as cupcake toppers. I've got a plastic seashell mold and some white cooking chocolate. I've done a trial run but when I turned the candies out after a short while the developed a wet sheen on the outside and looked sticky. I'm melting the chocolate in the microwave, stiring every 10 seconds, pouring into the mold (room temp), and putting the candies in the refrigerator...
This is a great threat, I've only just discovered the idea of using Rice Krispies in cake making and this has helped a lot - thank you!!I have two questions I was wondering if someone could help...1. I'm making a fairy castle cake and I'm thinking about using RK for the turrets, any idea how to shape them into a cylinder shape easily?2. I'm in the UK and I'm not used to working with cup measurements - any ideas how much 5 cups of Rice Krispies weigh?!Thanks so much!Selena.
Before I get asked to move this to the Naughty forum, I'm not being rude!I'm after some advice on how to make balls/beads out of sugarpaste to edge my cakes with. I have seen that there are some molds on the market but I'm specifically interested in those that vary in colour and size e.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkcakebox/1098602569/Has anyone out there made beads/balls like this? Is it a case of balling up your sugar paste and popping them on the cake? Would you...
Thanks! That's helpful
Hi all,I've been asked to make a cake for a friend who's celebrating working in the same Library for 15 years. I'm making her a round cake that I'd like to decorate with miniture books made out of fondant. I think I can remember seeing a 'how to' in a book once but I've looked everywhere and I can't find it now! Does anyone know of anything out there available online preferably? Or do you have any how-to suggestions?Thanks!Selena
Thanks both for the advice! I think I'll have a look on here for a new/different buttercream recipe instead. I'm also making this cake this weekend http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6417/orange-berry-wedding-cake which is very ambitious for me!! It uses a creamy custard as it's filling which I'm going to switch to whipped cream but I will make sure it's kept chilled - thanks for the tip, I hadn't taken that into consideration!
Hi all,Newbie question here, apologies if it's a bit basic.I'm still learning the ropes with all this and I'm making a chocolate birthday cake this weekend. I want to do a tiffany style box cake with chocolate sponge and whipped cream as the filling. I've never worked with real cream before, I've always used buttercream. I was wondering if there would be any foreseeable problems with using whipped cream as a cake filling, and if it would be appropriate to put a thin layer...
Thanks so much JanH, that's a huge help!Best,Sel.
Hi all,Apologies for the newbie question, but is there an ingredients glossary on the site anywhere for international users? I'm in the UK and we don't necessarily use the same terminology as those in the USA. For example I've just seen what looks to be a good chocolate cake recipe on here but it uses golden/corn syrup... can anyone tell me if this is the same as Lyles Golden Syrup on sale in the UK?This is one example of many... for example can anyone explain to me what...