Posts by jennicita

I live in Germany and have been frustrated with the flour situation, too! Luckily I'm right on the border to France so maybe I can get the same flour you did - where did you find it? A standard grocery store? And what was it called? Unfortunately I don't speak French so I can't ask them myself. Thanks for posting your discovery and thanks in advance for the details of your find!Jenny
I'm in southern Germany (near the Swiss-French border) and have been for 13 years now. You won't be able to get everything like you're used to but what you need to bring along depends on what you're accustomed to using and where you'll be located. Of course things are also available online, but be prepared to pay quite a bit for them. If you're military, you'll have good sources for a lot of things (so I've heard) but otherwise there will be a few things you might want to...
Try this:http://books.google.de/books?id=Ah258xKazJkC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=playful+puppies+debbie+brown&source=bl&ots=1xPTCBylzn&sig=qiE7Bb5ZmcAQa1cSho-yhFDzRxE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yec_T9OOMMjktQbov5HwBA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
I used a couple boards and brackets (at about a 135° angle) from the hardware store to make a stand for my DS and laptop cakes. I discovered that gravity is an enemy so keep the cake on top a bit thinner (lighter) and let the fondant harden a bit with the cake propped up (so the 2 parts form a V) and then things don't slide. I was happy with how the DS turned out - I was too rushed on the laptop cake and wasn't entirely pleased with it. But the stand worked out really...
Great save! When I was 16, I remember my mom baked my sister's b-day cake, made the buttercream, probably did the top coat and let me put little star-type flowers on it! I wish I would have had the skill and guts to try something like that at your age - I did my first 3-tier cake when I was, what, 37? If I had a hat on, I'd take it off to you Congrats on a wonderful cake that probably at least 90% of the population wouldn't be able to manage nearly as well! (of course...
Sorry, jlcalvert! I had interpreted it that you only saw the one negative comment, not the other ones. My mistake! And that's how quickly and easily mistakes happen. I think I'll extract myself from this before I make any more! Actually, I think I wanted to go relax... (of course that's on the condition that my son will even let me...kids!)G'night everybody!
@gatorcake: I wasn't referring to your post, rather one that came after it in which it was obvious that the poster hadn't read and understood the situation completely. My second sentence referenced that misunderstanding. Unfortunately I see that too often: somebody skims a topic and posts a comment based on an incomplete understanding of the situation.@ everybody else: it's great to see the show of support for a fellow caker. Now it's time for me to relax and call it an...
Please, before criticizing the OP, read the posts more carefully and you might find she has every right to be upset. There was one comment on the tutorial and then there were quite a few on a tutorial-inspired cake photo. I, for one, can excuse a little over-reaction on the part of somebody who has been wronged (I'm like that, too, and would be just as upset!) but can't excuse the thoughtless, negative comments that were made. This is supposed to be an online community and...
I'm so sorry - I wanted to give you credit for the inspiration because I never would have been able to make that cake without your instructions. I was thrilled with the result and all my in-laws were gushing about it - thanks to you! Then when I saw some of the comments, I felt bad and wasn't quite sure what I should do with them. I realize how time-consuming it must be to make a tutorial and as somebody who wants to keep learning and trying new things, I'm so very...
Whenever I do something I know I can't undo, then I get a bit nervous. Or before a big project when I'm asking myself "what have you gotten yourself into this time?" Of course by the end I'm usually very happy with the result so it's been happening less over time, but it's still there to some extent. Guess I just need more practice, right? jenny