Posts by denetteb

Yes, you can ice and decorate and pipe and color cream cheese icing, it just depends on the recipe. You also need to consider having refrigerated space if you are decorating it ahead of time so the icing doesn't sit out too long.
Fromscratch, what do you think about the dried buttermilk product?
I love your effort and desire to create something so special for your kids. You have done great work and if you do a little more research on the support system, you will have great cakes with little or no sliding issues. It really isn't that complicated, you can do the stacking part easy based on your great cakes you have posted. Check out these two videos on stacking.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=plcphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaCSW78ybcThey...
Since the bride wants a "rustic" look with smears with a spatula, there is no point in going to the effort to make a smooth cake and then add more to mess it up. Do a crumb coat to seal in the crumbs, let it crust (if using a crusting buttercream) then add more icing to create the rough effect you are looking for.
I would say your leaning problem is because of your lack of support. There should be a series of dowels/straws placed around each layer with a cardboard (topped with the next tier) on top. There should be a cardboard for about every 4 inches of cake. The dowels and cardboard act like a table with the next tier sitting on top. This way each tier sits on the table, instead of pushing down on the next cake below it. The skewers do nothing to prevent the upper cakes from...
With a properly supported cake, a large flower will not cause shifting. Do you have a picture to post so we could better see the lean?
On the Wilton forum, there are people looking now and then for the swan pillars, or bridges, etc to replicate cakes for big anniversaries. So there is a use for them, even if it is for other cakers. Just depends if you want to hang on to them or pass them along or sell them to someone else. I think I have read lately where brides are starting to ask for fountains and more pillars and more piping. Maybe the pendulum is swinging back the other way from crisp fondant.
It seems really complicated to have separate prices for so many different pans. I am a bit confused why there is such a price difference between a tiered cake, which is $2 per serving and the individual cake prices. For example if I bought a 6-8 tiered round cake it would cost me $72. 36 servings times 2. If I bought a 6 inch cake and an 8 inch cake it would cost me $22. I don't see that there is really anything to justify such a price difference between the single...
It is probably too late for this cake, but in the future I would say your leaning problem is because of your lack of support. There should be a series of dowels/straws around each layer with a cardboard (topped with the next tier) on top. The dowels and cardboard act like a table with the next tier sitting on top. This way each tier sits on the table, instead of pushing down on the next cake below it. If you only have one straw it will do little or nothing to support...
If I am going to use in in a week or so, or want to nibble on it, I leave the icing in the fridge. If I don't plan on using it, or want it less tempting, I freeze it. I freeze it either in a rubbermaid-type container or a ziplock bag. I have read that some people gather the little bits of leftover colored frosting as a start when they want to make a black color. Or I will use the colors in my next project to help use them up. This chart tells you how much icing is...