Posts by denetteb

What would happen if you used gummy fish?
Make the cake, put it in a rigid plastic container, freeze it.  The night before the party or the morning of, depending on the time of the party and how big the cake, have them take it out of the freezer and set it on the counter to defrost.  Uncover and serve.  Make a tester to make sure you trust the process and are comfortable with it.  I have done 3 friends graduation cakes this way since I planned to be out of town.  As life would have it, I was there for all three...
It is admirable that you want to please those that are eating your cakes.  But I think it is impossible to please absolutely everyone.  That is why there are so  many different recipes for icing and vanilla cakes and chocolate cakes, etc, etc.  Preferences can depend on where you grew up, what you grew up eating, if you like sweet or not so sweet, creamy vs whipped, hot and humid vs cool and dry weather, cake served indoors or outside.  Tweak or change your recipe if you...
I use the Wilton butter flavor when making my icing with half shortening and half butter.  I also use some vanilla and almond or cream bouquet along with the butter flavor. So I wouldn't say you should just get rid of your recipe based on one complaint.  If you like it and everyone else does, maybe it was just not to her preference.  Or you could try a blend of flavors next time.  Can  you check in with another family member at the party and see if the person was correct...
Since it is a friend you could mention that you wished they had it delivered closer to when they would be eating it so it would be fresh and also say that it won't be as fresh since they are waiting so long to eat it.  At least then you have let them know and prepared them. 
Don't stress, not your problem.  That said it certainly won't be as fresh as you provided for them, can they find room in a freezer to keep it fresher?
Shame on all of you horrible vendors, just taking all those customers money.  You should just do it for free, or at least just the cost of ingredients.  Taking all the brides money...tsk, tsk, tsk.
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.  I was trying state to the poster that both elements need to be done to get your price figured and why the costing was important for other reasons than a final per serving amount.
By anyones definition or research tool charging $175 for a three tier fondant cake with 4 custom figures is below the floor, assuming it is a 6, 8, 10 which seems to be a pretty common combination.  I understand what you are saying howsweet but it seems to be that even if you match the local pricing, you still need to calculate all those other costs so you know how profitable it actually is, and even more important so that you can confidently charge the higher rates to...
So the  buyer was happy with the cake and therefore no refund?