Posts by ptanyer

Several years ago a CCer posted a photo of her delivery vehicle that she had "wrapped". The back of the vehicle looked like you were looking into the back of the vehicle and could "see" cakes that were being delivered.  Does anyone remember that post?   Also there was a post about a device that you could use when working with cake dummies...it was a turntable with posts that stuck up that you could place the cake dummie on and it would hold it in place and not move...
I must be the exception in the great discussion about the change in cake mix weight. I use Duncan Hines for several altered cake recipes and haven't had any problems at all with my cakes. I always have added a little extra batter in each pan so that if I need to trim, I have enough to do so without reducing the size of each layer. I honestly haven't noticed any difference in cake flavor, texture or stability for stacking. More and more customers are requesting the...
What brand and size did you use?
You certainly can take everything you need, by suitcase or shipping, and make the cake there.  I did a baby shower cake last October.  I flew from SC to Chicago with two suitcases, one carry on suitcase, and had ordered some things on line and had it shipped to one of my sister's house.  I didn't bring my mixer because they already had a KA, not as big as mine, but big enough to do it in batches.  We made the cakes and frosting there, and I did the cake from beginning to...
I don't know the science behind it, but sealing fondant or gumpaste decorations in an air tight container cause the fondant/gumpaste to wilt. The same can happen to buttercream. I just leave the containers slightly cracked so that it is not air tight.
Was your fondant old with hard edges or hard all over? If you used fondant with hard parts you will get little hard balls like you are describing when you roll out the fondant. You can either spend a lot of time and manually remove each and every little ball, or scratch it and start over with fresh fondant. You can also get the little balls, if you have fondant crumbs on your work surface from cutting out shapes.
In my opinion, the chocolate and cream mixture got too hot and separated. I had that happen several years ago and no matter what I tried I couldn't fix it. The other day I needed to make some milk chocolate ganache and decided to try several different chocolate to cream ratios and see what happens. My chocolate was Ghiradelli double chocolate candy making and dipping bar, comes in 2.5 lb bars. I made a 8 oz. chocolate to 8oz. heavy cream, by weight not volume. The next...
I just made peanut butter frosting the other night for the first time and OMG, just give me a spoon and let me eat it right out of the bowl:D I made my regular buttercream using Sharon Zambito's recipe and then added peanut butter until I had this wonderful blend and added little vanilla and done. It was so good! It isn't complicated and tastes great. Cannot wait to have another cake to use it on...lol.
Ever since I read OP's post, I have been craving a "fallen" poundcake:). I woke up this morning and decided it was time to give in to craving and me a cake, but only after I had baked the other cakes I needed for this week. So I started refilling my sugar and flour canisters and getting organized. During this organization my DH said something that really ticked me off. I got distracted and continued getting ready to bake. Made the first cake batter and got ready to...
I have had this happen with pound cake as well. Usually if you substitute self-rising flour for AP flour, you leave out the baking powder and/or baking soda (that's what my Mama always said). I actually love, love pound cake made with SR flour...the crumb, the crusty part...yum. What I've done in the past when I wanted cake like that is to divide the batter into 2 bundt pans and bake them one at a time with a cookie sheet under them on the rack below, just for insurance...