Posts by ozgirl42

Some of what has been published in the UK, specifically, states that the reason disco dust (actually they didn't mention a brand) has been labeled 'non toxic; is because they haven't yet determined definitively whether it is safe to consume or not, so approval (or not) is pending as it is in the States. This isn't a question of being professional it's a matter of being aware of statutes, recommendations and the laws as they stand in your region/state or country. What...
Stick a fork in it I think this topic is done. The bottom line is to CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL FOOD AUTHORITY BEFORE you sell your products. New bakers need to be aware of the health regulations pertaining to them in their region or state and country. Not all laws regarding food, food additives or business practices are the same across the board so please make sure you check with your food authority or health department BEFORE you start selling your products. No one...
Oh the hell with it why not add make sure you remove all seeds as they're not food items either, and some seeds are known to contain small amounts of cyanide ( bitter almonds, apple seeds, apricot kernels, cherry seeds). These are not food items but are found in food and as long as the seeds stay intact they don't pose a problem but the main point is that you would have to eat a significant amount to cause you a problem. So don't chew on apple seeds. If you had to add...
You can also use meringue powder instead of egg whites to make the royal icing or even use a royal icing commercial powder mix. I got sick of having so many left over egg yolks, that is the route I have taken now. It hasn't made a discernible difference in the way the end product behaves, unlike the difference you can see when you're piping designs or doing string and extension work.
At last a modelling chocolate recipe that works! Thanks Auzzi!
I use bubble straws which are about four time the width of normal straws. They are extremely easy to handle and I have never had a problem with stacking. I got mine off eBay. I'm not going back to wooden dowels anytime soon.
As soon as there is a catch cry about something being poisonous in cake decorating, my initial reaction is to go and find out as much information as I can about so I can make an informed decision about it. After doing some extensive reading, the bottom line is the longer something is exposed to the relevent types of plastics (Polycarbonate and PVC that is flexible), the more BPAs and phthalates are absorbed by the food/drink. Not even canned goods are safe from this as the...
I haven't got got the mad dadder pans, but I have a full set of round and square tins and wouldn't use anything else! Logic would dictate that if you are baking a bigger and deeper cake (even though there is a deep and shallow side to these pans) that you would need to use either a heating core or flower nail or baking strips, surely?
I'm horrified! I've never known anyone to treat fondant like this.You put your fondant on your cake and then use either cornflour or pure confectioners sugar to "polish" the fondant. If you want "gloss" I would suggest you use pearl dust or steam rather than running it under a tap! By wetting the fondant you are making more work for yourself than you need to in order to get a good smooth glossy finish.
I don't take any chances with my 'hobby' anymore. If you want a cake you give me 50% deposit and the rest when you pick it up or I deliver it, and if I don't get the money you don't get the cake. We should ALL harden up and run it like a business (even if it isn't). If we were a shop based business, there is NO WAY anyone would be taking a cake out of the shop without paying; that would be STEALING! I can't see the people at Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes) or Carlo's...