Posts by sarahmpetasan

I’ll be painting on a cake this week, for my first time and appreciate all the help everyone’s already given in this thread! I do have two questions:What consistency should I be looking for when adding the extract to the gel color or luster dust? Should it be a thin liquid like water or just a bit thinner than the consistency of the gel color?Also, when doing a childs cake, I’m assuming extracts are always the way to go vs. the vodka? Or does so much of the vodka...
I am 110% behind your no wires in cakes info! I just graduated pastry school last May, and can you believe they taught us to tape wires and stick them directly into the cake??!! I had no idea there was anything wrong with that! I'm shocked that these professional chef's are teaching something that is so unsafe!I do have a question about your straw w/royal icing suggestion:If lead can leach into the candy melts & remain in the cake if the wire bends and some of the melt...
Wow! It's like you all pin pointed items that I didn't notice were causing me frosting issues! Thanks for your help!Any suggestions as to how I can avoid all the bubbles in the frosting? I know the more you mess with it, the worse the bubbles get, but how are people able to frost cakes with zero imperfections? Even grocery stores frost cakes perfectly in house and they don't usually have access to big frosting machinery.Any help would be appreciated!Thanks,Sarah