Posts by whisperingmadcow

There are some cakes that I work on that just seemed doomed. No matter how well planned out you have yourself, no matter how early you start, everything about certain cakes just seems to fall apart.I was working on a 8" square cake today. I was using the yellow butter super moist DH cake mix. It requires that you use a stick of butter instead of the 1/3 c oil that you would normally use. The instructions also say to only grease the very bottom of the pan. I use parchment...
I would double the length of the cake, not the height. If you double the height, you will end up with 16 really tall slices. I am not sure on the design, but maybe you could make a tiered cake or a sheet cake?Hope that helps!
oh oh! what about using blueberries to get a purple blue coloring? its natural!
I know its over done on this site, but what about the rose cake everyone is making these days from the 'I am baker' blog? Simple, cute, easy. Or this last weekend I made a smash cake with a piece of fondant on top and a pirate design. The parents only wanted the fondant on the top of the cake so they could peel it off before giving it to their one year old. Maybe something like that? What about maybe royal icing flowers or silk flowers? It adds color, but can easily be...
You don't need to let the fondant dry first. Just cut out the shape, brush the back lightly with water and place on the cake. Be care not to use too much water, but a little dab. The fondant wont slip, I promise!
Tammy - Does the vanilla taste too strong? I don't want to gross anyone out...?
Jennifer - Was your cake iced in buttercream?
Yeah, it is a crusting buttercream. Basicly the wilton recipe for buttercream. I just want to it look silver-ish.
I was thinking I might pick up a fan brush and try it with that. I just don't want to crush the buttercream or leave marks....
Can I get it at michaels or hobby lobby? If not then I am out of luck there...