Posts by johnson6ofus

As a newbie myself I never really understood the ART that a great cake was--- time and practice. Some pick up (art) faster than others... look at Bub's cakes. Wow! 16 months? She has a lot of art talent and skill. Me? "Into" it about 3-4 years... and still suck. lol The stethoscope does not make the doctor, the paint brush does not make the painter, and a box of piping tips doesn't make a cake artist. (I still have tips I have no clue on..lol).  But we all here appreciate...
I agree... Wilton classes, live, in a classroom with a live teacher is a great starting point. You have the tools now, just learn to use them. Yes, you will waste a lot of icing, but that is all part of the learning. It is fun, you just need a little help getting going. :)
I think where "rookies" and "newbies" miss the point on the notion that they can "follow their dreams" and "go for it" is that ALL those jobs are still done, even with only ONE cake, just smaller scale. And to afford all the legalities and nonsense, the pay for ONE cake won't cut it.    You guys work 60+ hour weeks not because you want to, but because that's what makes success. One cake pays the electric, one cake pays the legal, one cake pays the water, one cake pays...
thanks AZ.... Quite the compliment from you!
No, sorry... not "respect", but mis-information... in a business envelope. The TRUTH is not disrespectful. The bakery business truths have been posted her many times but those you know, and have experienced it----1. You need to do the math- business plans, funding, capital, etc.2. You need to do the legalities as applied to your situation- legal kitchens, tax filings, permits, etc.3. You need to know your customer base and who you are "targeting" to sell to. Will they pay...
Found original cake here on CC by bubolinka posted 4/15/2013.   It is so awesome (hers, NOT mine).
I am one who "gave up" before I even started!   I LOVE to bake, LOVE to decorate, but just not good enough. Some have that talent, not me--- really. I did teach Wilton (pay sucks, BTW) but had lots of fun and bought more fun tools as a business expense.   I gave up "THE DREAM" (quaint little corner shop bakery) because of the horror stories and long hours posted here. THANK YOU!!!!! I am NOT a "quitter", but reality requires a reality check from "those who know". You...
Awesome news Nerdy! Nice to have an update on something we read about. Glad it is going so well for you!!!
Butter fat:   The fat content of butter ranges from 80% to 86%. Butter isn’t pure fat; rather, it is an emulsion. Butter fat and milk solids. You can clarify butter (melt the butter over low heat until it separates into butterfat and milk). The butterfat, or clarified butter is poured off, leaving the milk solids behind. However, much of butter’s distinctive flavor is in the milk solids, so clarified butter doesn’t have the same taste as melted butter.   I love "real"...
Wilton camo sheets are different. I vote for edible image. Look on one side on the left--- it looks like a deer.