Posts by lordbuffington

Thanks everyone...I was thinking that with my limited time I shouldn't try anything new but I thought I'd ask anyway. The "steam buttercream" sounds like something I could try, but - is "fresh cream" considered butter? My buttercream has butter, in which case I'd skip this altogether, but maybe I could make some extra cakes to practice with? Thanks again for all the info!Andrea
OK, my boss asked me to make two cakes for a luncheon tomorrow. I have very little time to so them as it is (with working and all) but I want them to be perfect (of course). I want a smooth look but am not going to use fondant. A Wilton instructor once told me you can warm buttercream and pour it over cakes, however, I've never seen or even heard of it being done. Have any of you had experiences with this? I've already made two batches of buttercream, so if it can't...
You could ask the original creator, Louise. She is so very talented and has her own blog at cakejournal.com. She usually replies to questions that people have about her creations...shoot her an email and ask her!Andrea
You know, I work for a sign company and we get scam emails ALL THE TIME for 50 or 100 banners for a "church" that needs sent to Nigeria or some other country. They are clearly scammers, but the sad thing is that a few of my colleagues from different companies have fallen for it.Just last week I received a call from a touch-tone operator, who proceeded to give me instructions on how to reply to the caller's questions. After the first question, "God Bless I am reverend...
Indydebi - that almost happened to me at MY wedding!My step-aunt is the master decorator at a locally owned grocery store. I knew she was up to the task of the photo I'd found of the cake I wanted for my wedding.We went over it, I paid the deposit, and was told the balance was due 2 weeks prior to the wedding. My wedding was January 5th. I never got the notice I was told I'd receive about the balance, so I called. Unbelievably, my aunt had me booked for JUNE 5th. WOW!...
I am not sure if this has been mentioned already, but why don't you just do a blog showcasing your hobby? That way, you can post photos, descriptions and ask for feedback, without really advertising, if you're worried about that.My husband is a web designer and my friend and I just didn't want to invest in the domain, etc even though the site would be free - until we get a lot of attention on our blog first. Plus, we're both still novices and are in the early stages of...
Thank you, mkolmar! You know, my buttercream was probably too crusted at this point for it to stick well at all. Your sand wedding cake is very pretty...it looks a lot nicer than mine! Thank heavens mine wasn't for a wedding....I appreciate the tips and will definitely try it out next time!
Hi cylstral,I work for a sign company and we do car magnets. Not to put anyone or anything down, the magnets that you get for "cheap" online and at national "print shop" chains are really just that - cheap. I've had countless clients come in for replacement magnets after they've ordered from these types of places, and the magnets tearing is usually the biggest reason.The standard size that my company sells (we've been in business since 1972) is 12"h x 24"w with rounded...
I was in a local bakery/supply store just yesterday and saw a 50lb bag of yellow cake mix that had just been delivered. I cannot for the life of me remember the brand, but I was a little surprised at seeing a "mix"...not that I think there's anything wrong with a mix!Andrea
Thank you RylanTy! I tried really hard on this cake! It was the first one I've made for someone else and people loved the taste, so that's a good thing.The sand didn't look bad, but not completely like I'd envisioned. Maybe next time I will be able to try your idea. I'm going to check out the Wilton turntable...I never saw the big metal one, though.Thanks!Andrea