Posts by kiraboo

Hi everyone! I've been asked to host/teach a cake decorating class a couple girl scout troops so they can earn a badge. They are kindergartners and 1st graders so I'm making it a cupcake decorating class to make it simpler. I'm pretty much a hobby baker and stay at home mom and would LOVE to do this, but have never taught cake decorating, besides to my own kids (5 & 7). I've seen the online Wilton "Icing Fun" program they have for kids- girl scout troops in particular...
Have you used an online place that makes good quality edible images? I've seen the ones at my local grocery stores and I'm not thrilled. There are so many online, but I don't know which to choose! Any help would be great, thanks!
thank you SO much guys! sounds like I'll be using quite a bit of fondant. I like the idea about the plastic wrap, thanks- didn't think of that one.Now to make maroon... that sounds like a fun color to reproduce.
So I'm making the leap and will be starting my business from home come September (woohoo to the Baker's Bill! )... anyway, I've been a hobby baker for a few years now and always bought my stuff at local grocery stores and sometimes Costco for things like butter, sour cream, vanilla, etc. (smaller bulk items). I've been looking at the 50lb sacks of flour, sugar, and powdered sugar and am thinking this:WHERE am I going to keep all this stuff? lolFirst off, do you store...
I'm hoping for some words of wisdom from some of you more well versed in fondant than I am. I have to make a fairly large scarf made out of fondant, and it's going to have broad bands of stripes... a Harry Potter scarf. I'm not really sure how to accomplish this. Should I roll the edges thin and overlap them a bit with a little gumpaste glue? Was also thinking of texturizing it, but still thinking about what to do it with. Ideas?Thanks for any help!
good to know, thank you so much!
thanks for your help guys! I made a small test batch last night and took it out of the fridge and it seems a bit too soft- like softer than fondant, and I'd have to have freezing cold hands to work with it. tasted great though! lol. It was 4oz candy melts with 2 Tbsp corn syrup. What recipe do you use with the Wilton candy melts?Do you think I can still use it if I add more melted candy melts to it? Or can I mix it with fondant/gumpaste?
I'm about to make my first attempt at making modeling chocolate for some figurines on top of a cake. I've read some tutorials on it, but I still had a couple questions. I'll be using the recipe that uses the Wilton candy melts and corn syrup. - do you use the gel colors like for icing, or should I use the oil-based candy colors so it doesn't seize?- I read you can paint your figurines, what would you use? the same edible paint I use in my airbrush? or the gel colors,...
I just got my first order for a giant cupcake-shaped cake and was wondering whether I should buy the Wilton pan (with my 40% off coupon of course!), or just stack and carve my own? It might help me make my decision if I knew how many people this thing will serve. Anyone know? Also- for those of you that have made one (either from the pan or homemade), would you put a cake board and dowel supports in between the two halves to support the top? I'm not sure how stable it...
do you dilute your colors at all, or use it straight from the bottle?