Posts by whimsette

As many has mentioned, there's a well-known scam going around. Please be careful!A super-high-end designer acquaintance of mine ships his cakes ... but the couple must also fly him out to set-up and do any touch ups and decoration on site in the venue's kitchen. My advice is to never, ever, ever, ever, ever ship a wedding cake. In the past I've shipped a few birthday/special event cakes to beloved clients but they were the exception and not every cake made it through the...
PayPal recently introduced a Virtual Terminal that's basically a card reader that allows you to do face-to-face transactions. Beware - the fees are quite expensive. Unfortunately, PayPal often sides with the buyer in any kind of dispute. I used to sell on eBay a lot (not cake-related) and got burned a few times with unscrupulous people. Grrrr. http://www.2checkout.com (online transactions only) and http://www.propay.com (online and in-person sales) are decent alternatives...
I was a member of a local chamber for a year and it was merely ok for me. There were several other cake makers & bridal industry people in this particular city's chamber who were really cliquey and high-school level gossipy. There was a lot of backstabbing and negativity amongst the competing businesses which was a big turn off for me. On the other hand, I did learn whom I DIDN'T want to do business with in the local bridal business. That's priceless info! I also got some...
Another vote for renting the space. I did some barter-for-space deals in my early days and they ALWAYS ended up on the losing end of the bargain. I needlessly lost a lot of money by undervaluing my work (labor + materials + expertise) to get my name "out there". Please ... never, ever, ever be afraid to charge what you and your product is worth.
A few questions for you:* Are the spaces you're looking at commercial kitchens?* If not, how much time and money would it take to convert them into kitchens? Are those properties zoned for kitchen space? Will the landlord allow you to convert? * If they're already kitchens, are they up to code? Will you need to bring them up? Will you need to buy new equipment? As for the bridal shop: * Do they have a "preferred baker" as mentioned by JoAnnB.* What's their client base...
Don't let them get you down! I go through spurts where I'll get challenged on my prices and I just deal with it. (Through gritted teeth and a fake smile.)The best things you can do for your business are to know exactly what your operating costs are, never justify your expenses to anyone, and charge what your time/materials/talent are worth.Stay strong!
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. You stuck to your policies and didn't bend even when the customer tried to dictate new terms to you. There's nothing wrong with that at all.Just to be safe, I would email back with the confirmation of the cancellation and move on.
Are there other local bakeries or commercial kitchens you can approach to sublet space? With the current state of the economy, many restaurants are starting to feel the pinch and are looking for ways to bring in some extra cash flow.
Hiya,I've done it a few times and it took some trial and error to get the baking time/amount right right. I filled about 2/3 way full and baked at a lower temperature than my recipe called for (about 25 degrees less, I think) for a longer time. As for sanitizing, I soaked the pots in overnight in a 1 pt bleach to 10 parts water solution and THEN put them through the dishwasher. After they were washed, I put them in the oven to dry out completely. (I'm super paranoid about...
That made me laugh out loud!I'm a scratch-only baker for a number of reasons. I love creating my own signature flavors and recipes. That's a big reason I chose to go into cakes in the first place. I also like to control exactly what goes into my cakes. I do a lot of cakes (diabetic, gluten-free, allergies) that require special handling and ingredients. And, well, I personally prefer scratch over boxed mixes in both taste and texture. As for telling your clients that you...