Posts by pidge

I was going to suggest something related to Murphy's Law ... but I don't think you'd get much business! lol.
I still ask my mom for business advice. lol. And I've been doing this for 12 years! So, I think that asking for a list was a good idea. Us creative types DO need help with organization. We also need to foot the responsibility for our bussiness ... but that's NOT what you were asking. I always forget a very IMPORTANT question during consultations -- How much time do you have scuduled for this meeting? Sometimes I get to designing with the Bride, and take up way too...
I know it's different everywhere, but do you already charge $2.50 for an undecorated cupcake? What do you charge per serving for a normal decorated cake? I think that the price would then be comparable to that.
I am in the process of starting up an online store, and all my "ducks are in a row" except the shipping method for shipping fondnat flowers and decorations.I had read that I should put each individual flower in a small ziplock bag and then pad it with tissue paper, but I'm planning on doing really small decorations -- and that seem overkill. Then again, not separating them sounds dangerous too. If any one has any experience with this, I'd really appreaciate any advice. ...
I just asked the owner of a coffee shop ... she has so much extra space, she was glad to talk to me! So, just ask. {And if you can, maybe ask someone who you know a little, or a shop you visit already.}
A friend just called me and she baked a cake in a 8-cup measuring cup {to make a teapot cake}. She said the cake looked done but when she pulled it out of the oven it cracked open and batter was coming out. I've never made a cake in that shape of pan {glass, 8cup}. I suggested a flower nail in the base and dropping the temp to 325.Any other suggestions???
I'm just about to make a 16 and I tend to use 2 rose picks and use wax paper on the bottom of the pan ... you don't want anything sticking! I also wired two cooling racks together!!! I flipped a cake out once and wasn't thinking about the fact that the rack was half the size of the cake!!! LOL!! It also take a lot longer to cook.
I've done several cakes with different flavors and I have to admit that it is a BIG thing. If the bride likes some crazy flavor and you convince her that the guest may not like it, and you both come to a "polite-ratio" and then switch it ... well, that could cause some problems. (Granted it's only cake!) But if the anniversary top cake was wrong that could be a frustrating problem (if they saved it). I would, personally, make her a new 8 inch cake (for any occasion or...
This has got to be it because it is LOVELY!!http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_595383.html
I have an anniversary cake due on Sunday and I need HELP!! The colors are light blue (wedding color) and ruby (40th anniversary). I am at a total loss. The lady was wanting blue flowers and something in ruby. But all the ideas I can think of seem stupid (and thats not a good place to start). It is only twenty servings and the lady said "somethig simple" ... but I'm willing to do about anything. If anyone has pics of a cake using these two colors or ideas I would be...