Posts by bwonderful

I would do one sketch where the couple is standing in a strawberry field on the top of the cake, holding hands, and dressed in the beatles style. Even put funky round glasses on the groom.I would make it a more "normal" wedding cake using white icing and putting clumps of strawberries and strawberry flowers on each tiers base but then write across the cake, "All we need is Love" You could even do a drape going down as a piece of sheet music and have "all we need is love"...
I was watching the Elvis cake challenge the other day and they had a really traditional judge on there. It wasn't KV... but she did not like the fact that Duff was using a blowtorch to heat up his icing and called the other judges to have a meeting about it. Then they deducted points for it! Duff was so funny.. his response was simply, "I can't imagine life without a blow torch"
Thanks!! everyone's suggestions were so helpful.I make plain powdered sugar butterceam and I wanted to subsitute the liquid for coconut milk. The people that I'm making it for want shredded coconut and condensed milk in the middle of the cake as a filling and I thought that adding the milk to the buttercream would blend the flavors together well.thanks again.
Has anyone ever made buttercream using coconut milk? does it work?
I just got Collete Peter's wedding book and if you look closely at one of her cakes, there's a fly on it.
I have a sheet cake for a man turning 50 for this weekend. The problem is that the woman who ordered it wants ruffled scallops on the sides of the sheet cake with a rounded top edge. She wants everything gold and white. She also said she wants it to be pretty. This is for a man!! She wants 50 to be in the upper right hand corner and the rest to say, "Aged to Perfection".How can I do this to look manly with ruffled scallops?
apparently I want to go so badly that I posted that message twice
I made this fondant last week for a cake. It's really easy to make. I wrapped it in saran wrap (several layers) and left it on the counter for 24 hours. The first half of it that I used was easy to work with and great. For some reason the second half tore and I had a horrible time. I finally had to go to walmart for wilton. (agh) It's the same batch that was in the same conditions so I don't know what happened. It might have been the heat and humidity down here. But I...
agh... I had a really long and not so fun day at the dr.'s office and got home just in time to clean up and feed the kids. Then I had to put them down to bed and run to the store for some caking supplies. The entire time forgetting that I really had to get to the craft store for gumpaste. I have a cake this weekend that I really want a cute topper for. Why is it such a big deal? Because I live in Houston and there is a tropical storm on it's way. So tomorrow I won't be...
I would do a sheet cake in the form of a newspaper too. You could do different fake headlines about her life. If you need several different cakes, you could do different sections of the newspaper. Do a religion section and make a headline about woman showing love of Christ. Do a real estate section and do a headline about how the house market went into the toilet after her retirement.. Then do a front page one about her turning 80...Here's a picture I found by sweetpea8.....