Posts by minorfan

I do a lot of fondant cakes for a children's charity and the kids carry around the cakes for the day and want everyone to see it.I make sure the cake board is a little larger than normal - at least 2-3 inches on each side of the cake and then I go to dollar tree and get the clear gift bags to put the cake into then tie at the top and put ribbons around the tie at the top. Makes it really cute and visible and dust free. Have done it with a butter cream cake but was worried...
Dollar Tree has them for $1 - elmo, bert and ernie etc I buy the disney ones all the time they are about 2.5-3 inches high great little figures for the cakes and did I mention they are $1!!I do cakes for a childrens charity and sometimes do not have the time or talent to do all the figures and this helps.
I have a pot belly pig - yes really. He gets all the cake scraps. They are not really supposed to have chocolate or all that sugar but he was only supposed to live 12-15 years and he is 17 and happily eating cake scraps. He now smells the cake cooking and just waits by his plate.He is within his ideal weight!! He fell 7 years ago and broke a couple of teeth and have to have dental surgery and now we have to cook all food for him, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies etc...
You can get a sculpty mold that makes hands and arms and then put them around the cake coming out of a brown cookie crumb (dirt) like they are buried and trying to claw there way out.
I LOVE my Debbie Brown books and just found the 3 hard to find ones by emailing Debbie Brown!! She has a web site (just google) and she will tell you where to find her books. I just got the one with the carriage, the original party cake book with the champagne bottle on the front and the cakes for men book. I like Lindy Smith also and just got a couple Nicholas Lodge books for flowers.Collette Peters has gorgeous cakes but beyond my skill and when I have tryed cakes...
I have to make a train for this week and went out and bought the wilton 3d train cake pan. Made my usual batter and filled like it said - all the way to the top of one side then put the other half on and bake in the middle of the over for 35-40 minutes. I snapped it together as well as possible. Put a pan underneath on the next rack down to catch drips and that thing did not bake. Had the oven at 350 and the extra thermometer in so I know the temp was right but it was...
The forum post that talks about the lady who does cakes for her husbands military guys is called "this is why I make or bake cakes" She makes them for the guys for the families that are back here in the states.The military guys contact her husband and arrange for her to make a cake for there wife or child while the guys are over seas. They get a cake with a special message from dad or hubby that is over seas and can not be there. It was on here about a week ago or...
Nice to see others are donating cakes. It can make a great special memory. I am already donating a ton of cakes. I make a cake for every child who gets a dream from the children's dream fund. When a child has a life-threatening illness they get a dream and I make a cake to go with the dream. Keeps me being creative. So far 77 cakes since january.Also liked the one lady who makes cakes for all the guys in her husbands platoon while they are deployed. There are...
Right now I would do an assortment of items but include fall themed and football themed especially if there is a big alumni in your area. College football or logos, if it is within the month of Oct I would do halloween but only in oct. Cats, dogs, football, fall themed, current kids movies and cartoons, any thing that fits the area of the country you are in. I am in florida and there is a big rivalry between all the colleges so I would do something along those lines and...
I have made one - photo in my gallery.Use the pumpkin pan - fill up more than you would so it is all the way to the top of each half. Trim the edges really well so there is no ridge when you put the two together. Getting buttercream on it was difficult because of the grooves and ended up thinning the BC and using a pastry brush so it was not to thick.Make sure your fondant is thick enough and do the carriage in one piece and becareful not to stretch the fondant.Make...