Posts by ladybug76

I am in PA and my cake designs can take days, so I may cover my cakes 2-3 days prior with no problems. The BC layer under the fondant helps to keep moist.
For myself, my home-based kitchen opened in January, which is named JaimeCakes (no space in there!!) for one main reason. At least in Pennsylvania, you do not need to file legal paperwork to verify no other business has your name as long as your name is in the title. Since I am starting on a shoestring, it made sense to throw my name in there rather than jump through legal hoops!!! In your case, try surfing the internet by googling key words and see the different...
I have made several box cakes using 2 different methods... First way....covering a styrofoam wedge and securing to cake with BC. Second way.... cutting tea straws the height I need then using a small dab of BC to secure end of straw to box top. For both methods, to give me peace of mind, I run a small border of BC to the inside of the box lid (so not to show on outside of cake) for adding 'glue!' Here's a pic of my most recent box cake. HTH!~...
I keep pricing and technical details to a minimum on my website until I have a chance to sit with a client, then I go over contract and specific details. Sometimes, although you are getting all your information out there from the beginning, too much information can be confusing for a customer.~ Jaime
I generally bake on Tuesday / Weds for Saturday cakes with no problems!!! With the buttercream and fondant icing (as on my cakes), the moisture is locked in. ~ Jaime
I'm jumping on the same train!! I, too, will not be renewing!! I just received the April MBN and what a disappointment. Half the magazine is filled with 1/2 filled pages. They are just white, blank spaces!! With no disrespect, the cakes published don't make me 'ohh' and 'ahhh!' I see more cakes that catch my interest here on CC for free!!!~ Jaime
I actually crunch up Oreos in my BC. I tend to make 1-2 days before cake will be delivered - and also crunch up in small pieces - to prevent getting soggy. I have used in vanilla and chocolate cakes and prefer to combo with chocolate cake... tastes like the cookie!! ~ Jaime
I am new in the wedding cake market so I am just wondering..... does a charge for consultation deter customers?? Right now, I do not charge for consultations. I offer 2 cake flavors (about size of 1 1/2 cupcakes) with 5 fillings to sample - plus bottled water!! Any thoughts???
Thanks all.... I didn't think this was 'normal'!!Well, I went to the consult and not only did they ask for a sample cake, which I politely informed them that I would be happy to make a cake for such-n-such a price, but the consultant threw this at me..... "We are about $6000 over budget on the whole wedding. We were wondering if you could bake us the Hollywood themed fondant cake with hat topper for the reception, but I have a friend who will make the kitchen cakes to...
Hi!! I am fairly new to the wedding cake arena, as my business opened back in December. With summer weddings quickly approaching, all my consultations have ran smoothly; however, I have one bride requesting a "sample" design cake prior to signing a contract. She wants a 6-8" fondant covered, fondant "film" strip (it's a 1950's Hollywood feel), scroll work (from molds) along with top hat... which I already have a top hat cake she has viewed during a recent bridal...