Posts by makenice99

lmao..lol...hairy arms under the fondant...i was thinking ill...too. But that is the way its taught in classes too. I brought the mat and only make small cakes. But yes you both are so right about the hygiene. Do you think its only for the camera but when their gone they do better. How does the health department let them get away with that?
Hi,I love cake! I love eating them, baking and decorating. Although due to the scale I am learning how not to eat my cake scrapes…. (A whole other story, but cake decorating gave me 20lbs). I love taking cake classes, watching demos on YouTube etc. Now I am into watching everything cake on TV.So I was watching Fabulous Cakes on TLC. The episode with the Pillow sweet 16 cake. The cake was very grand and cute. But watching this episode raise two questions for me. 1. ...
Hi,I need some cookie advice. I will be making cookie pops favors for my nieces baby shower next Saturday. Since I will also be making the cake too I am trying to do as much in advance as possible. I have looked at some of the post and see the dough can be made weeks ahead of time and put in the freezer. My question is tonight can I not only make the dough but cut the cookies, insert the sticks and wrap them with saran wrap and put the tray in a plastic bag and put it...
Thanks for sharing your experiences I really appreciate it. However, they weren’t using it to moisten the cake but infuse flavor. I had never seen that before and was wondering was this method popular and being used by bakers in this group. Catlharper: You are so right it is a matter of trial & error but I learn so much from this forum and these TV shows that all I want to think about is cake, cake cake..
Thank you both so much for your post. They were wonderful not only gave great food for thought but focused me to make all the calls necessary. I have found out so much information. Anyone else in the NYC area if you want names & contact #’s for various department send me a PM.Baked Alaska: I did my church kitchen search based on locations which had soup kitchens. Because the church services food to the public, they are required to have a food vendor license and be...
So I was watching Top Chef Just Desserts last night for the first time. What a cool show.. funny to. Anyway it was the episode they had a 1 ½ to make a wedding cake. Some of the chefs were taking the cakes layers and brushing them with different simple syrup + liquid to add flavor to the cake. Does this make the cake soggy if it will be made a day or 2 in advance of the event? Is liquor the only thing that can be added to the syrup?
Good Morning,Oh my God this maybe my lucky day. I am taking the first big step. I have been thinking about finding a church or daycare centers in my area to rent a kitchen for months now. So this morning I finally did it. I called a church and inquired. While the Board Member I spoke with said they have always rented the space kitchen & hall for parties by the hour this was their first request for kitchen only. I have been asked to put my request in writing what...
Oh My God, thank you all so very much. Those video hit the nail on the head. I learned so many things I was doing wrong. The main problem I believe was as mention by Sweetwise the cornstarch. Also, I was applying to much color & wasn’t letting the fondant rest. I have never thought to mix color dust and gels for more intense shades. That is too cool! Thanks a bunch all.
Hi,Thank you all so much for helping me. However, I think I didn’t explain the problem correctly. While I love the tips on tort fill and letting it sit with a tile to settle and will defiantly use this method going forward. I am not talking about the middle bulging where the two layers meet. When I put on the fondant various places around the cake form these droopy, bulges, bumps. It even happened when I tried putting a gumpaste dress onto the top of a buttercream...
So far I have only tried round 10" cakes. I filled the cake put a crumb coat placed it in the frezzer for 5 minutes. Removed and applied buttercream. After the buttercream was on I set to side on the table about 5 to 10 minutes to color and roll the fondant. Should I give it more time from frosting to covering in fondant? Do you put your fondant cake in the fridge like they do on the TV shows?