Posts by handymama

If you moved it to the drum right after icing, it should have been fine. Do you let your cake settle after torting and filling? Every time I try to rush it and skip that step I end up with problems -- even if I've compressed the cake.
Good idea, remnant3333
Good cake isn't cheap; cheap cake isn't good. Base price in my area for wedding cakes is 2.50-3.00 per serving. One of mine is 9.00 and so far this year I have two ecstatic brides who have ordered it. My base price is 4.50 because I got tired of being angry every time an undercharged cake went out the door.  I'm by far and away not the best decorator in the country or on CC, but I'm the best in the region. I've paid my dues both in time and money learning my craft, and...
You didn't say, but if it's a newer KA they are no longer the quality that they used to be. My home KA is nearly 25 yrs old and has been repaired once (force-fed meat in the grinder attachment, and it got sucked into the motor). It's made countless loaves of bread as well as everything else, and if it breaks down I will absolutely get it repaired if I can. In the bakery I have three KA: a little one used only with the pasta attachment; a 5-qt Artisan and a 6qt. Pro. The...
Have all of your ingredients at room temp. Stiff peak: when you stick your spatula in and pull straight up, the peak should remain sticking into the air, not flopping over. "Runny" is way, way underbeaten. Make sure you use cake flour, not all purpose, and check the expiration date. Once you hit the stage where you fold in the beaten egg whites be very, very gentle. Try baking at 325. When your cake starts smelling like cake and the top is no longer shiny it's...
GP is most often affected by one of two things: humidity, and children. Your problem was humidity -- likely moisture from the cupcakes. If your "closed container" was a plastic box or covered cake pan, that's your problem. This shouldn't happen in a closed cardboard cake box. It also looks like you need a different icing recipe.
The little balls are most certainly PS. If you're making your own fondant sift the PS before you add it. If you're dusting commercial fondant, use a shaker. Little chunks would indicate fondant that has begun to dry out; in that case break off the hard fondant and throw it away -- don't try to knead it in. Whatever you do, don't use Wilton fondant. Tastes terrible and it's like rolling out a rubber ball.
I would have said sturdier board. If your board flexes at all it will create lines/wrinkles. If your cake looks good until you move it -- even slightly -- that's what's going on. Some have said that adding vinegar to the BC prevents lines, but I've found the board to be the key.
I torte. fill, wrap in plastic, then set the cake pan on top (since it's a perfect fit) then set whatever is at hand that seems like a good weight in the pan. For larger cakes some people use a 12" x 12" floor tile. You want to equal or slightly exceed the amount of weight that your icing and fondant will add later so the cake can settle and express air before you ice it, not after. I rarely freeze cakes, but when I do I thaw them overnight. I would think if it's no...
Wednesday: bake, cool, level, fill, stack, wrap, let set overnight with weight on top Thursday: ice and fondant; make accent items Friday: decorate Saturday: deliver