Posts by soph917

I like to do 2 tone bows. I use two different colors of fondant (with Tylose added to it), roll it out and cut my strips. I glue the strips together with a paintbrush and water. Loop it, pinch the ends and then each loop on it's side. I just dry them in a cake pan on the counter overnight. I've tried the paper towel tubes, dowels, etc, but just drying them on their sides works surprising well and doesn't take up any space. Once dry, I add a thin strip/rope of fondant to...
I made a bananas foster cake using this recipe, the original Bananas Foster recipe. I made the sauce, then added it to taste, to IMBC. It was SO YUMMY. I made a butter rum cake, with a soaking of simple syrup/rum sauce, and banana mousse. Delish. http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html
I melt it a little in my KA bowl, over a pot of simmering water. Then whip it again, on high until it comes back together. It always comes back. That's for IMBC, which is the only buttercream that I really use.
This is the recipe that I use. It's very simple and easy to make. I have had very good results with it. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1949/marshmallow-fondant-mmfThe recipe calls for 16 oz marshmallows, but I use a 10 oz bag, and don't quite use up the whole 2 lbs of powdered sugar. Take a few minutes to read through the comments. I have made it dozens of times, and I have answered some questions there.
I use MMF with Tylose added to it, rolled very, very thin. It works fine for me.
My best friends birthday is coming up, and I am in need of some non dairy, but great recipes. She loves carrot cake, but she can't have the cream cheese frosting anymore. I exclusively use ganache or IMBC, but she can't have those either. I really don't care much for Crisco based icings. I'm a little stumped here.
Oh I am SO relieved to read all the responses here in this post!! I thought it was just me. The biggest fight we ever got into (me and DH) was when he told me he just didn't think that cakes should be my thing. I lost it. I am already hyper critical of my work and insecure about my skills. His comment was in reference to the grumpy, sometimes crazy person I become because of cake. We have a 2 year old, and I ONLY do cake stuff after he is in bed. I just can't focus 100% on...
For red I dye my buttercream yellow first, then red. Takes less red dye. Plus I make it at least a day in advance, pop it in the freezer, then take it out when ready to use. I put it back in my KA mixing bowl, melt it a little over a double boiler and whip it again. I know it sounds like a lot to do, but it really works to get a deeper red. I make the cheeseburger cupcakes with ketchup and mustard a lot, so I often need a deep red.
I love a tart lemon curd with lemon cake. For marble cake I like to do both ganache and white chocolate mousse fillings. I use the Costco Mousse recipe from this site. Super simple, and really yummy. The marble with those two fillings is by far my most requested flavor. And the lemon on lemon is super popular with my family and friends too. I usually do lemon cupcakes, filled with lemon curd, topped with lemon italian meringue buttercream. So yummy.
Here's one of my favorites, and totally different than any other suggestions. Not really sure if it fits in with what you are looking for, but I think it is is gorgeous, and not wedding like. I did a single tier cake inspired by this one, which I believe was inspired originally by the Cake Girls. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1648413[url]