Posts by Berecca

I just used the Wilton tulip cutter and let it dry on my small rolling pin that I stood up in a cup. Then I painted the edges with some gel dye and almond extract (any sort of extract with alcohol will work, though). I actually took it off the rolling pin when it was still a little soft and it fell nicely into the shape you see in the picture below. Then, I rolled out a little snake of black gum paste for the stem. Here's my cake:...
I just used the Wilton tulip cutter and letter it dry on my small rolling pin that I stood up in a cup. Then I painted the edges with some gel dye and almond extract (any sort of extract with alcohol will work, though). I actually took it off the rolling pin when it was still a little soft and it fell nicely into the shape you see in the picture below. Then, I rolled out a little snake of black gum paste for the stem. Here's my cake:...
Sorry about the slow reply on this topic. No, I didn't use any extra layers on top of the cake. Is that what you meant? I just sculpted it and added some extra cake on the side to complete the ramp. Let me know if you have any more questions!
When you put the fondant on over the frozen BC, do you find that the fondant starts to collect condensation as it starts to get cold? Is that a problem at all? Thanks so much! I'll give it a try!Thanks!And does anyone else have any more tips for me on sharp edges (not just the corners) on a fondant-covered square cake? If you're hesitant to give your secret up, I'd be willing to swap tips that you might be interested in - just look in my gallery to see if there is...
I need to know how to make sharp, sharp edges on a square fondant cake. So sharp that it looks like a perfectly done square buttercream cake. How do you get that sharpness with fondant?Anybody know? Thanks!
Yeah, are the winners posted anywhere?
That looks really pretty! I like the striped effect! Good job!
Missmersh,No, I don't think you're dumb at all! It's just one of those things that would be so easy to show you, but it's hard to explain!So, most likely, it would make more sense if you're in there trying it out - let me know how it goes, and I'll do my best to communicate well!
Oh, and make sure you use frosting to hold the layer of cake onto the side. I just frost the side of the cake and then stick the layer on.
Missmersh,Well, not exactly. I don't cut it like I'm leveling it. I just cut straight down into the layer to get a chunk of cake that is as long as the cake is (for example, an 8" cake would make the chunk 8" long) and cut it as wide as the ramp is tall (if the ramp was 4 inches tall where it started to become thinner, then I would cut the chunk 4" wide - the chunk would end up being 4"x8"). I turn the chunk on its side and wrap it around the cake. Then I use the...