Posts by Jayde

If you beat cream too much then you will end up with butter. Beat until soft peaks form, they should stand but slump over. Then add your powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. They should stand up on their own (no slumping) when you lift the beater out of the bowl.
My cheesecake isnt firm, but that is because i thicken with cornstarch and my recipe is egg-free and wheat free for those in my family with allergies. So it has a mousse like texture rather than a custardy texture.I think it really depends on the recipe.
I hate RI with a passion, so I am going to offer an alternative maybe for next time. I invested in a nice snowflake cutter set and make mine out of GP. Leave to dry completely, and then I smear a little bit of piping gel on with a small paint brush and dip into some white or blue disco dust. They turned out totally cute and were not nearly as fragile as the RI.
I would take Debi's idea of centerpieces and the idea for the white chocolate and pastels for the baby shower and combine. You could even do different shapes. Very cute idea!
I agree, if you like making cakes he has no right to ask that you give that up. Talk to him and set some definite limits as far as scheduling goes. Consider hiring a part time babysitter (and then raising your prices ) for your kids in the mornings or afternoons where you can get your caking done before he comes home from work. You can also see if you have a reasonable preschool program in your area, you might be able to put your kids in a morning or afternoon program...
Do me a favor chefjess and be careful with this one. I can see you making everything for her, charging only $50, having her come back and complain about some minute thing, and demanding a refund. Since you arent licensed you can lose so much by just not giving in to her, so you do, like so many other unlicensed bakers out there.Sometimes friends and acquaintances are the worst people to do business with and you are better off dealing with strangers.
I honestly have no intention of making the cake for any reason. Blame it on work, or school doesnt matter, its not gonna happen.I was flattered that they asked and it's a first wedding for the both of them and they both have great jobs and are established, meaning that they might spend more than your average just out of college couple, but still I really think they expected me to tell them that I would do it for $500-600.They actually had a decent design that I would love...
I am no longer at the shop. I quit being a decorator and went back to school when they started taking advantage of me, but that wasnt the real issue.I have had countless friends think that they are gonna get a deal from me while I am in 15 credit hours of school and working in an office part time for a wedding cake that they dont have to pay store prices for. I have turned them all down.So when bestie decided that he was going to get married him and his new fiancee...
My at home cost for making an 8-inch cake is $19.50. That is my recipe with a simple BC filling, boards (nothing is used again, I just have them throw away and I dont use cheap boards), and homemade fondant. If they request store bought, or I dont have the time to make homemade it jumps up to $25. That is for one 8 inch tier.I am not citisizing your math, but did you figure more than just cost of ingredients? What about disposible piping bags? Soap to wash your...
I usually fill mine first then carve. Much easier that way so you dont have to go back and trim when the two layers dont exactly match up, and you will have to trim or your fondant will be bumpy.