Posts by Lyoshka

Thank you! going to try that right now.I'm not really wanting to cut into the cake to put the filling on.  Do you think that a think layer of buttercream underneath the filling and then a dam would be enough to hold it in place? I've decided to try to make raspberry butter cream for the 12" cake, as it seems more stable.  Will make the strawberry filling only for the 8" cake, so hopefully, it'll hold and not ooze.
Thank you for the suggestion.  I don't have time to order the gel online for this cake, but may look into it for future cakes!
Kelly, congratulations on our upcoming wedding!!! And... I say this with UTMOST respect.. are you crazy for wanting to make your own wedding cake??? Not because you can't, but because it gets so, so, so busy!   But at the same time, if you can master the art of freezing fully decorated cake (even if it's in tiers) and make it like a month before the wedding and just unthaw/unwrap it the day before, maybe that's not a bad idea, after all :)  I would love to see how it turns...
Hi Kelly! thanks for the input.  I may play around with making raspberry buttercream for the 12" tier and if that turns out good, I may go with that ,and then a strawberry filling for top tier.    As far as freezing ganached cakes, I've done that many, many times and it works beautifully.  Once i discovered ganache, I switched to that from buttercream under fondant.  Once I ganache the cake and get it even and fondant-ready, I let it set either until ganache is mostly...
BUMP.. anyone? I really just need one question answered... can I freeze the torted cake with fruit filling?  I always freeze my ganached cakes, so I know that won't be a problem.  Just wonder if the raspberry and strawberry fillings would go nuts if frozen and then thawed?    I hope some of you can share your experience, I need to fill and freeze the cake tomorrow.   thank you!
Hi all! Making a baptism cake and need some advice.    Cake: two tiers, bottom is 12 inch chocolate cake with requested raspberry filling.  Top is 8 inches, vanilla with strawberry filling.   Each cake will be 4 layers, so 3 layers of filling.  Middle layer will be buttercream (variety of flavor and stability), the other two raspberry and strawberry.    Each tier will be ganached, then covered in fondant and decorated.   I have never used either raspberry or...
... or maybe I should make a batch of chocolate fondant and cover the board with that.. it won't match perfectly, but I know it'll cover the board nicely.     Let me hear your suggestions!
Hi peeps! Need some advice.... Making a cake for a party.. round 10 inch cake (about 7-8 inches tall), covered in chocolate ganache first (to make it even and pretty, straight edges), then I'm pouring chocolate glaze over it, putting a small row of chocolate sprinkles as the border around the bottom, and putting a minimalist design of silver and gold pearls and a few chocolate stars (dusted gold and silver) on one side of the cake.  I think it will be a really nice effect...
I know it's an old thread, but wondered how the ganached board turned out? 
Ok, problem seems to be solved! Just talked to the wedding planner and confirmed that the cake topper is 7 inches across and has pins to go into the cake in the middle of the topper (not the sides, like I feared).  So, I'm making 6, 10 and 14 inch tiers which will feed 128 people.  The other tier will be a kitchen cake :)  This way, the display cake works out exactly how it needs to with the wood effects, and I can still accommodate extra servings.  whew..... now off...