Posts by RoseCitySugarcraft

Did your customers put down a small deposit to just hold the date? Or did they make a larger deposit on their orders?I guess in my head, if no details at all were agreed upon, I would not ask for more than a non-refundable deposit to make sure they have you for the day they want. That wouldn't require anything more than a receipt to the customer (and a note stating that details needed to be confirmed and other deposits/payments due by X date), and starting a folder for...
Best way I've found to get a good, DEEP burgundy color I learned from a workshop with Michelle Bommarito: Start with red fondant (I use Satin Ice), and add dark chocolate fondant, kneading in a little at a time, until you get the shade you need. As long as you go slowly with adding more chocolate fondant, you can get the perfect shade for your project.HTH, ~ Scott
I give a hearty "second that!" to wierkd's suggestion! Cake Man Raven's recipe is the best I've tried for a traditional RV.It's not chocolate cake (with only a couple Tbsp worth in the recipe, and includes vinegar and buttermilk. IMHO, it's PERFECT. HTH, and good luck, ~ Scott
I agree with Diane! I always wash my fondant work surfaces (cutting boards, rolling pins, impression mats, etc) and my hands, drying thoroughly with lint-free paper towels before I start.I end up washing my hands VERY frequently during whatever fondant project I'm working on, too. Seems I can't got more than 20 minutes without gathering lint/dust on my hands....GRRR. But I'm also going to adopt the rubbing surfaces with the fondant ball, between washings! I hadn't...
my suggestion would be to check out the recipes and episode information on Food Network's website for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" program.He did an episode of chocolate chip cookies, three varieties: Thin, chewy, and puffy. I just found a transcript of the episode at this site. All the science behind the different types is explained. Gotta LOVE Alton Brown!! http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season3/Cookie/CookieTranscript.htmHTH, Scott
Daddy's Girl, and puppy love are both tutorials with full body male figures.HTH, ~ Scott
Aine2 here on CC is (imho) THE go-to person for tutorials on figure making.Her website http://www.extraicing.co.uk/#/sugarcraft-tutorials/4542219227 has several thorough, fun, and very affordable tutorials that are in PDF format for printing or viewing on your computer. Check them out. The "heads and hands" tutorial, and any of the other full-figure subjects are a GREAT start. Buy any 3 tutorials at once, and you get a "baby topper" tutorial for free!HTH, ~ Scott
Along the line of stencils, there are also paisley impression mats. You can use them with fondant or crusting buttercream. It\\'s also versatile in that you can use the mat to either make a raised or indented design, your choice. I think I found mine at Global Sugar Art. HTH, ~ Scott
so, basically, they contact you with an opportunity for exposure. they are basically asking YOU to pay for the advertising this opportunity will give your business, AND they expect you to donate the cake, too? WTH?Now, if they paid for the cake, or the advertising, or both, that\\'s one thing, but for you to be asked to pay for this both in monetary and material ways...that\\'s ridiculous! Who the heck does their marketing? EPIC fail! just my two cents...
I haven't personally used the mini 3-tiered pan, so I really can't offer much advice in the way of how to cover w/ fondant.But I did have a thought about filling. Depending on how thick your filling is, you could "core" the individual cakes like you'd fill a cupcake. Core from the bottom for thick filling that won't flow out from under the cake. Or core from the top if the filling is a bit more runny? Replace the bit of the topside core to seal, then you can cover it with...