Posts by peasacake

Thanks! I'll look at Michael's. I bet it's more viscous than corn syrup.Good luck finding corn syrup!
Yes, I'll have to research the Cake Bible. but the Spectacular cakes doesn't show the technique of how to wrap it around the cake. However I do know she does uses the chocolate plastic to do so.Thank you for the link echidna!
What is glucose syrup and where can I buy it? Apparently it isn't corn syrup. It is used in a recipe to make "chocolate plastic"...a pliable chocolate mixture that can be rolled out similar to fondant.
I want to create a cake that is wrapped in chocolate, but don't know where to begin. Not covered with chocolate fondant, but chocolate wrapped around the sides which extends upward and outward of the cake. Maybe similar to the cake on the front of "The Cake Bible". Will I need a marble slab or will I use a sort of mixture that can be rolled out as fondant is? Any suggestions?I have the book "Spectacular Cakes" by Mich Turner, and she showcases a cake covered with...
Hi there! In making toffee, I line a sheet pan with tinfoil and spray it will cooking oil spray before I pour the toffee onto it. I like to fold the edges of the tinfoil itself making corners and sides so that it is a bit smaller than the sheet pan. This contains the toffee to keep it a little thicker and keeps it from spreading out completely onto the sheet pan and thinning out around the edges. I like my toffe to be a good quarter inch thick. I wait for it to cool...
Great advice. Thank you both! I will be experimenting with cake recipes. I tried attaching pictures to my post , but was unsuccessful. If you can look at my uploaded pictures, you can get the gist of my concerns by looking at the three tiered square cake with polka dots. I agree with the thickness issue. We'll see. Soo frustrating!
Hi there! First off, I appreciate and thank you for your replies,advice and support.I will look into that cake recipe for sure. I thought I was smoothing the cakes enough, but maybe not. I am rolling out the fondant to about a quarter inch or so. Not so thin to show imperfections underneath, and not too thick that it's undesirable. Maybe in some cases it was too thick.I do wrap the fondant and place it in baggies at least overnight. My cakes are cold when I work...
After I finish covering my cakes in fondant, in time it starts to sag down the sides of the cake resulting in folds or bulging near the base of the cake. I've changed nothing for years...sometimes it works okay, but more often than not lately, this is happening. The ride in the car seems to worsten the situation. I've put minimal filling and buttercream underneath the fondant to no avail. I use the standard fondant recipe...gelatin water, powdered sugar, glycerine, corn...
After I finish covering my cakes in fondant, in time it starts to sag down the sides of the cake resulting in folds or bulging near the base of the cake. I've changed nothing for years...sometimes it works okay, but more often than not lately, this is happening. The ride in the car seems to worsten the situation. I've put minimal filling and buttercream underneath the fondant to no avail. I use the standard fondant recipe...gelatin water, powdered sugar, glycerine, corn...