Posts by Gefion

There is a thing called "whipped ganache". It does indeed have lots of air in it - that's the whole point. You make ganache, let it set, and whip it to a mousse. It has nothing to do with not understanding ganache. Sometimes you do want that air.
It is not the clients job to know how you price a custom made cake. It's fine to be annoyed (I get annoyed too sometimes), but to post a lenghty rant and to post the clients emails on a public forum is just unprofessional and totally uncalled for. It is your responsibility to say NO, when the dreams do not match the budget. If they are rude or continue to harrass you, then you get to complain. This string of email is nothing out of the ordinary, and does not warrant a...
Breaking RI is almost always airbubbles, especially when using the small writers, like 2, 1 and 0. It could also be a problem of pulling the icing when piping. As Kakeladi says, more info could help solve the problem.
  Tube is another (and older) word for tip. It's still called tubes in the UK, at least at the supply stores where I shop.
Whaaaat? Please tell me you made them buy you a new copy. Oh there would have been blood, if that happened to me.
When I serve Lambeth and Nirvana style cakes, I just cut it. Icing goes everywhere - but it's great fun. I don't do collars, but if I did, I would remove them first. The Nirvana style run-outs that are made directly on the cake (as in, not collars) are no problem to cut this way. I don't use icing that remains soft.   Make sure you use a very sharp and thin-bladed knife. It's the key to lambeth-cake-cutting-success.   Edit to add: I'm sure there's some very...
I make dark royal icing - black included - by adding the color before adding any powdered sugar. You'll need far less this way. Touch it up with a bit of extra color if it's not dark enough when you're done mixing.
It is possible to turn out a consistent high quality product in large volumes, from scratch. I've seen it done in several european bakeries. It does require skilled staff, of course. Pastry chefs. And great recipes. Unfortunately it's become very rare. Recipes for small volumes (like single cakes) and recipes for large volumes are two different things. Small volume cake recipes might have small imperfections that does not show up until you try to double, triple or...
3 hours at room temp - longer than that, and I would be required, by law, to throw it out.
What you do is that you don't accept fabric samples or anything, until there is a deposit. Deposit first, always. Don't spend your time chasing after money. If they haven't paid, let them know that their cake is not yet booked and won't be until you have payment. Be clear and firm with this from the beginning. It can be done in a friendly way.It has the added benefit of people treating you with more respect and less distrust when they see you are a serious business. If...