Posts by perfectcakebyshirley

At Joann Fabrics, I found these almost clear mats meant to use for quilting, but work great for fondant! They don't have any lines, rulers, etc. on them, they're totally smooth, and they've been holding up well. They're kind of a "cloudy" clear color, if that makes sense, and are really inexpensive. I've been hand washing them - haven't tried the dishwasher.
I made this coffin cake last weekend, based on a cake by Graceful Cake Creations, and need to figure out a better way to do the lid. I made it out of rice krispie treats formed to match the shape of the coffin, on a piece of foam board, then covered in fondant. To prop it up, I put a couple dowels into the side of the cake to support the weight, then some skewers into the lid, and put that into the cake, standing up. It was fine at first, but later, it tipped backwards and...
How do you sanitize them?
Great - I thought maybe they were grape vines, but not sure where to get them. I'll look for them at Michaels. Is it safe to have them on the cake like that? It will be covered in fondant.
I've been asked to do something similar to the cake below. I'm not sure what to do about the middle tier - what kind of vines/branches do you think it is? It looks like real ones, but I'm not sure where to get something like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  
I've been asked to do something similar to the cake below. I'm not sure what to do about the middle tier - what kind of vines/branches do you think it is? It looks like real ones, but I'm not sure where to get something like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!  
I would like to replicate the quilting pattern on this cake below. I have found oval quilting markers to make the oval imprints, but not sure how to make the little "x" at the intersections. Is there some sort of tool that I can use? What would it be called? Thanks!  
That's very strange. I use MMF too. Are you sure the dowels are the correct height? Do you end up with some space between the tiers? What kind of cake recipe is it - is it really soft? If you had a tier by itself, would that happen? I would definitely make sure the layers are not frozen when you ice them, to make sure they are at their regular shape, before you cover them in fondant. Is the fondant stretching along the top, to end up with excess on the bottom? is it just...
I've never made gumpaste, just bought premade stuff, but it is REALLY stiff until you knead it. I wouldn't use your mixer - probably hand-knead it until it seems stiff enough. (A small piece will stand up without wilting.) For the shortening, just greasing up your hands periodically will be enough.
Thanks - I decided to use real ones, and it was difficult to find some, but I finally did. Whew!