Posts by JNettecakes

I really didn't do anything to dry the fondant panels except place the cut out panels on a cake board and left them to dry on their own for several days inside a cabinet. Once they were stiff enough to handle (but not completely dry) I flipped them over so they could finsih drying all the way through to both sides. Just be careful when handling...it would be awful to drop or crack one. One thing I wish I had thought to do once the cake was assembled was to go back and...
The fondant panels were tinted brown before letting them dry and the trick to getting the wood grain look is to not knead the coloring into the fondant all the way. if you stop short of that and roll it out you will see the lines of the coloring and they resemble wood grain. my photo angle does not show this. I did let the panels dry completely (several days) and had to trim them according to the actual size of the baked cake, which was a 1/2 sheet cake cut in half...
I just made my first wine bottle cake last week. I made the wine bottle out of fondant by simpling wrapping black fondant around an empty clean wine bottle that was laying down (I coated it in corn starch first to make it easier to remove the fondant once hardened. Therefore it was only half of the bottle. The wine crate was the cake. I shaved white chocolate to look like packaging material. The box was formed from fondant panels and secured to cake with buttercream. ...
I have been asked to make a guitar cake for a groom which I do not have a problem doing excpet for one thing. I don't have an airbrush tool and the cake the bride is requesting should look like her fiance's guitar which is a black one that gradually blends into orange and then yellow. I explained to her that I do not have the proper tools to achieve the desired look and she didn't mind. She doesn't seem very picky about it looking exactly the same. BUT I guess I am...
I am making my first graduation cap with rolled fondant. I have covered the half ball cake pan with my fondant (after dusting it thoroughly with powdered sugar) to form the cap portion. It has been 2 days and is drying but will not release from the pan. The more I work at it, the more stress I put on the fondant. I am afraid I am going to crack it. I went ahead and rolled out another cap in gumpaste hoping it dries faster and will release easier but has anyone else had...