Posts by stlalohagal

I'm looking for the Wilton (1970's era) Stairstep (into the side of the cake) with Candle holders. Or tips/how to's on how can I recreate that look w/o them. I know they've been discontinued and I've been searching everywhere for over a year. Anyone have any ideas? If anyone has these and can give me some measurments that would be great!! I can post a pic from an old yearbook if needed, just let me know.Thanks!!
No, it's just a local contest at a Art & Science Fair. I thought I'd try it for fun. It' open to professional adults and then amateur and they have a kids category. I just wanted to do it for fun but thought I'd see if there was any good advice to follow to get into a good habit of.
Does anyone have any 'How To' advice for a first time competition/contest cake?
I saw a Christmas Tree cake ?? maybe it was cupcakes stacked??? I don't know. We were at a school function. The bottom tier fit on a small 'cake' plate, you know children's party plates... then a middle and a small mini on top. they were iced in the flat tip that just draped icing over each layer.Has anyone seen anything like this? I've searched the galleries and the net to no avail yet. If anyone has directions on this or how to do them I'd appreciate it. I don't...
Thanks Dave!OK, Well now I'm even more concerned/confused (and that's not hard to do!) I hate to go and buy the Splenda and I found a recipe there for buttercream but I assume that it too would need to be consumed in the 24 hrs. I usually don't do many cakes, just here and there for friends and family, so baking the day before is not a big deal if i can get the full sheet part done in advance. I could even finish the icing that morning if I baked the cake the night...
Hi all! I've got a friend that asked for a full sheet cake for her father's 70th birthday party... one catch. He's Diabetic and needs a sugar free cake but the family still wants traditional cake for everyone else. Ok, problem solved with a small cake 'stacked' on the sheet cake just for him. My problem is -- I've never made a sugar free cake! HELP! Also, do I charge her extra for that little cake because I'll have to make a full batch for just that small cake,...
Thanks mom2c-m! I just bought the castle set this week to play with for this project... problem is it's to difficult for a 7 year old and most especially dad. Michael wants the castle gray, no problem but the Wilton stuff is all white and would have to be covered in fondant. I had him try this and the length of them got to be to much and the flaired end for the turrets with the cut outs he wants but he doesn't like how it looks once covered. We follwed the CakeBoss...
Thanks for the feedback... that's exactly what I am worried about. I know the turrets/towers will cover the 4 corners but I'm worried about the top. I'm planning them taller than the top so maybe it won't be a problem. I don't' know. Also, I was going to have the turrets/towers inset slightly on the corners, like the Cake Boss showed in their tutorial. (Imagine the red cross symbol,.. but not that dramatic.) We're doing out Halloween cake this weekend and we're doing...
Your castle looks great! I like that you can eat it all! (Yumm!) I love it, but my son wants 'the straight up and down kind' he said, and 'the block things at the top' to quote him. He's very particular. While trying to talk him into this type we came across the deli ma that he doesn't want the pointy tops to his turrets, he said it made it to girly... go figure That would leave the ice cream cones visible at the top then. Aside for all that my DH would get...
OK I need advice for a 7 Yr Old. This is for a Dad & Lad Cake Bake for Scouts. He wants to do a castle. We went through my books and he picked a Debbie Brown basic square cake to be dressed up with 4 turrets/towers. I printed the CakeBoss directions that someone had in another thread and I've pulled 4 TP rolls (minus the TP ! ) from our craft supply box, and I've got the ice cream cones but he doesn't want the pointy things on top as he calls them. He just wants the...