Posts by basilikon

Here is the online Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of the word sable:1 a : the color black b : black clothing worn in mourning -- usually used in plural2 a or plural sable (1) : a carnivorous mammal (Martes zibellina) of the weasel family that occurs chiefly in northern Asia (2) : any of various animals related to the sable b : the fur or pelt of a sable3 : the usually dark brown color of the fur of the sableWhen in doubt, I myself usually prefer to go with the...
Hi, Gingoodies,I would agree with others on here to tint the BC for the cake a pale shade of pink. I would avoid using brown for leaves (they'll look like dead leaves) However, you could include leaves in either a pink slightly darker than the BC icing but still paler than the flowers (so they won't catch as much attention), or in the same pale shade of pink as the BC icing. Of course, you could switch up and do both or even a few different slightly different pale...
Wow … So much talent on here, it's just breathtaking!One of my favourite cakes is one I did last year to test a new technique: BC Glaze. I was asked to do this cake for someone's graduation, so I incorporated the school colours into the design:
I was told in my Wilton classes that Colorflow is stronger than Royal icing, but BC breaks down *both* Royal icing and Colorflow about the same. It takes more than a day or two to really start breaking down either. I have noticed that Colorflow creations did seem a bit sturdier than Royal icing.One concern, however, is to keep the Colorflow design (or Royal icing if you decide to use that) in a cool, dark place until you're ready to use it. The colour will fade from...
You mentioned that you use separate bags just for royal icing (definitely a good idea), but do you also use a coupler dedicated to royal icing only? Mine are made of plastic and will readily absorb the oil from BC after just one use, and no amount of vinegar will get rid of it. I had a similar experience with royal icing just after the weather started warming up. I decided to splurge on a new coupler and that seems to have been my problem. Just a thought.David
mrsa143,In my experience, Wilton recommends that if you want brown icing, then you should always start by adding cocoa powder to it to achieve the shade of brown you want. You can always add Wilton brown gel colour after the cocoa to intensify it if it's not quite brown enough. Honestly, though, you can get a rich dark brown colour with cocoa alone. If you don't want to use cocoa you can use carob powder instead. I made a fudgy carob BC icing one time with just carob...
Hi, SweetAsLemmons,Since red velvet cake is a cocoa-flavoured cake, you could use the same flavour filling for both tiers. However, for the sake of æsthetics, I would recommend a mocha or cappucino filling for the chocolate tier. For the red velvet tier, a vanilla or almond filling would work (I'm partial to almonds, myself). Either one can be made white, which is customarily the colour frosting used for red velvet cakes.Good Luck!David