Posts by LemonLyme

Hi guys.. well my response is this: I used electric before and i found no matter what I did or how i positioned the cakes in the oven one side always came out more humppy than the other.I currently use Gas because it's so much better to me( that's my personal preference)A dutch oven .. hey if i'm ever trapped in the wild and get bored and need to bake something ...that regis ....would be my final answer.As far as convection is concerned it's supposed to give even heat all...
The easy part is the cake..LOLwell yes it takes a while to do a cake especially the decorating for me that makes me sit down.And the basketweave( which is a request by every order i've had) takes awhile to doThe fondant,royal icing and gumpaste flowers takes days.I have made a serious investment in having quadruple baking pans of each size so for me the mixing and baking isn't the clincher.trust me when I say the cake baking is the easy part and I bake my cakes from...
You don't have to own a restaurant to shop at Sysco's. They're opened to the general public.I use sysco to stock up on my cake boards,boxes,the baker's joy( they sell the large cans for $4.19) instead of going elsewhere and buying the smaller cans for $2.00.After Sam's club and Costco I use Sysco's to stock up on things i don't get at Sam's in bulk.With those 3 places i comparison shop.But i will definently be looking out for that cake shortening Thanks Leana that was a...
Is there a place or thingor gadget you just couldn't see yourself continuously decorating cakes without?Take the time to share.As for me mine are as follows.The Hardware store.The little gadgets i get to help enhance the out come of my flowers and various designs. even my cake decorating tool box is a nice handyman's dream.. a tool box for my tools
It happens!I've bought things set them aside in a place where I think I can find them and when I'm ready to use them, I have to go buy the same thing all over again.After a few weeks then the items turn up.It's happened with baking pans,cake decorating tools,icing tips,colors.You name it I have probably 6 of them.I told my friends if you ever come to my house too cook you'll never be at a loss for any tool pan or gadget.It's shameless but we love our craft.
I got my Kitchen Aid at Lowe's and they had an excellent deal on it including a rebate offer. so when it was all said and done I paid about $140 for my KA( it's the 5qt Artisan)I've got my eyes on one of the heavy duty models,but right now my cake decorating monies go to furthering my skills so I can make even more gorgeous cakes,desserts and pastries.Someoen recommended i get the Hamilton Beach stand mixer that was something around $99 i declined because I did my...
I've never had problems with cookies going stale on me.But i bake one day let them cool then i store in cellophane bags and decorate the bags and usually deliver at the end of the week.I've tried several tricks with my basic dough recipe,I've used Soy Flour on ocassion mixed with the AP flour and my reason for doing this is that soy flour in baked goods would allow your baked goods to stay even longer with out going stale.I usually do several cookie recipes including an...
You know with those little gadgets we'd be the Macguyver's of the cake decorating world.( you remember that TV show, he could make an escape devise out of anything)And yes it can be very frustrating using someone else's kitchen to bake.I've learned after one trip always call ahead and make sure they have what I need and I usually give them a list,then the shock comes once you get to their house they don't have half of what they told you they'd have.And OUCH!!! when you...
You know it's strange but I don't eat cake eitherAnd what was extremely weird was I'd lost alot of weight and someone told me to take the wilton classes, well I took them and still after all 3 courses cake never appealed to me.Mind you alot of people's dessert tables were quite happy to see the creations from the cake classes.I know each cake recipe I make is good Even before the weight lost I ate my cake recipes so they are tried and true but now i don't eat it.As for...
There's a Costco wholesale by me and their gas( yesterday) is $2.43 a gallon some service stations here are from $2.49- $2.60 a gallon and i live in the southern U.S.I remember when $10 bucks used to fill a tank,Now I know you said It had nothing to do with the price of cakes,but I have had to raise the price of my cakes because the price of certain items went up like milk, eggs,sugar and other implements I use for cake baking like the oil etc. So yes the cost of gas...