Posts by elvisb

I'm in the final construction stages of moving my home baking biz to a cake/cupcake shop in town.  I bought a Duke single deck convection oven.  It has high and low fan but no option to turn it off.  I think I'm getting the hang of adjusting the baking times and temps for cakes, but the cupcakes leave a lot to be desired.  In my home oven, the heat source is on top, so they crown straight up with nice little even peaks.  In my convection oven, the fan is in the back, so...
Think of it this way....if you receive anything for your efforts, you are a business. Anything includes ingredients. If you are to truly be legal and bake a cake as a hobby baker, your cake must be DONATED to the person who wanted it. Any kind of exchange, whether it be money, ingredients, or favors (I bake you a cake and you clean my house) is considered a business. If you get anything at all in return, that is your compensation.
I am in Iowa (US) and received an email from a bride who was looking for Piece of Cake on facebook. She thought she found the right Piece of Cake, but obviously not since I am about 2500 miles away from her. (That would be quite the delivery fee!)So I told her I would see if there is anyone in the Fernie, BC area that I could refer her to. The wedding is in 2012, but she did not give me a specific date, just the location. Message me if you would like her contact info.
I also have an account with CK Products. A friend of mine is also a baker and we combine orders to meet the minimum $150 order amount, not that we really have to. It's pretty easy to hit the minimum without trying that hard just because they have such a huge variety of things you can use. You have to have a federal id to get an account with them. I hardly ever go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's for supplies anymore.
Most of my wedding cakes are delivered, and I definitely charge for that service. Gas is expensive, and they're taking up your time, so do charge. Use very sturdy boxes for transport. Get rubber shelf liners to put in the box to set your cake/cake boards on. This will prevent them from sliding all over. Make sure your cakes set level on the drive or they will slip off the cake boards or slide into your car seat. An SUV works best, but if you need to use a car, roll up...
I was called up for grand jury for 3 months, and I did ask to be excused and explained that I'm a one woman business and had weddings and other orders lined up for the period they wanted me. They told me I couldn't be excused, but if I gave them a list of the dates I couldn't serve, they would see to it that I would get those days off if they did have a trial. Not sure how that works if one of the jurors is missing for a day, but I was ok with it as long as I didn't have...
I also use souped up box mixes and get rave reviews about the moisture and flavor. Boxes are what most people are used to, so a scratch cake often takes dry to them. So that "befuddles" me that she didn't like it. I just make sure at the very least it gets one more egg and 1 more tablespoon of oil than the box suggests. When we start doctoring them to make them moist, they become a little denser by nature. So that's maybe where part of her cake issue is. She's just...
That's a loaded question. Depends very much on what area you're in. I'm in rural Iowa and people gasp at the thought of paying $500 for "just a cake." Around here they want something for nothing, so it's hard to charge what you're worth without hearing the complaints roll in. Having that said, I do have a method in figuring my prices. As a rule, I figure my ingred cost first. Then I estimate how many hours it will take me and pay myself $12-15 per hour, depending on...
Mine go in the dishwasher in the silverware compartment. I don't have a lid on my compartment, and I don't have a bag. You just make sure you stick a few tips in each section, then put enough silverware in each to prevent them from flying out. Works wonderfully.
Hello Cupcake! is a fun one. Gives you a lot of ideas and step by step instructions. A lot of the ideas you can transfer to a bigger project like a cake.