Posts by giraffe11

Thanks for the reply, Rylan. Have you ever tried to cover a cake with candy clay? I really would like to know more about benefits of using one or the other......like does one hold shape better? Easier to work with? Dries faster? Lasts longer without getting brittle? Holds color better? I don't know......any other reasons, besides taste, that people prefer one over the other?I am going to be making farm critters for my son's 4th BD and I am trying to decide which...
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know that corn syrup makes the glace shiny, but I have never had luck at all (despite the help and tips of everyone on here! ) with the glace. I like Antonia's royal, but it does dry chalkier looking and matte. I just sometimes cookies on here that look more like they are iced with the glace, but people say it is Antonia's/ I saw one person explain, a few months ago, that she thinned her Antonia's with corn syrup rather than water, so I...
I am thinking that the corn syrup makes it more shiny, yes? But I have always followed the directions in Antonia74's recipe and thinned with water. Do most people add corn syrup to Antonia74's icing recipe to make it shinier? And does this affect the time it takes to set and/or the hardness of it?Thanks for any input.
I would really love to know anyone's ideas about the pros and cons of one vs the other? I have some experience with the candy clay.....I have done a fair amount of molds and character modelling with it, but never tried to cover a cake with it. I have never tried fondant at all. What are the benefits of it over the clay? I have noticed that Ace of Cakes seems to use the candy clay a lot......Thanks for any insight or tips you can lend...
OK, no time to read through thread......on my way to work! But I am so glad we are reviving the scratch-off for September! I missed it last month. And, apparently I missed this thread until now, but have found it and will check in later to pick my recipes....Heather
There is also a helpful "sticky" post here in the business forums, which has a synopsis of rules from each state. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I am just a hobbyist, but I have often thought that if I were to do it for real, a web-site-based business would be the thing.
I am wondering if anyone will share their favorite book on making gum paste flowers? I am really interested in learning to make them. I have never done any. I have made elementary roses out of tootsie rolls and modelling chocolate. I am only a hobbyist. I have a full-time job and two small toddlers, so taking a class anywhere is kind of out of the question. But I am pretty good at self-teaching and I don't mind spending hours and hours of evening time to make pretty...
Thanks so much for doing it though. I love the spreadsheet and downloaded the yellow cake results to my desktop. I know we all appreciate your time!
This topic never sends me replies, even though it tells me I am "watching". I guess AUgust is for rest, since it' nearly half over! I am open to any flavors. I am loving finding new "best" recipes.......and I love to bake in the fall.
The health code rules apply for where the food is made and packaged. It doesn't matter whether you sell them from the internet, the newspaper, a magazine ad, or from your front door, whatever. They are no health-code rules concerning mode of advertising. If you are thinking of trying to skirt the law, which is highly frowned on here at cake central, then internet is probably the worst thing you can do, b/c it makes it much easier to catch you breaking the rules. I...