Posts by giraffe11

Thanks for the ideas.  That is really interesting about piping with the cookie dough........I will have to try that soon!
My SIL asked me to make some cookies for my nieces 14th birthday.  She has no suggestions at all on shapes or patterns, other than the colors: lime green and purple.  Does anyone have any great ideas?  I am considering some paisley pattern or maybe animal print?  I am not a pro, but I am pretty handy with cookies.......no kopykake though .....so must be free-handable.  Haha-making up words as I go along.  Thanks for any input and hope you all have a fabulous holiday...
I always make my own. (That's my 40th in my post signature....lol) I get to try fun new things and make whatever I want. Usually I will make a nice dinner to go along with it and have some family over.
I don't like fondant, b/c I like to do more detailed designs. I use a Antonia74's RI (CC recipe) and leave out the cream of tartar and add just a tsp or so of lemon juice.......a tip I got out of Cookie Craft. You don't really taste the lemon at all, but it takes away some of that weird meringue powder "stale" taste........makes it taste brighter. This RI dries plenty hard enough to stack, but is not a really hard icing and very pleasant to eat.
I have never had that problem with the Rebecca Rather WoW. I really love that recipe, although some of my extended family members think the buttermilk "tang" is too strong. No idea what to suggest really, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.
I posted on this topic last night, but it seems to have been lost. I was only adding that the drying time in royal can also be adversely affected. I was doing 300 wedding cookies for a friend with Target's house brand (b/c they don't carry Domino's) and the icing would never set up. It was wet for hours! I had to scrape all of the cookies, go buy more Domino's and re-do everything! Interestingly enough, I have never had any problem using whatever brand of granulated...
Wow. I can't believe this thread is still going............ I don't think the point was originally about whether scratch or box is better. The point was whether it was acceptable to lie. I still say I expect ANY person I am doing business with to answer direct questions with the truth, whether they are a baker, a plumber, or a driveway paver. If not, I will respond appropriately. I agree that many people prefer boxed cakes. And I also can tell you that many people...
Yes, bakeries will flat out lie about this issue. I remember being amazed, the first time I saw a similar post, at how many CC'ers said they would flat out lie and basically told posters who suggested honesty was a better policy that they were busybodies and had no right to be the "moral police". To me, it has nothing to do with scratch vs mix vs doctored and everything to do with honesty in business. If I hired a roofer and he told me he would haul away the old roof...
When I click on the My Photos link it says "Error 404. Not Found!"
THanks all. It doesn't smell at all, but I think I'm going to pitch it. It is Antonia's, but I have had it for about 6 weeks. So.........guess I'll be making all of those colors again tonight. Have a great weekend. H