Posts by rhesp1212

Eureka....found a solution!!! The gelatin works perfectly because it does get completely hard....and you can cut it with scissors without it breaking!! YEAH!! So, here's what I did.....made the gelatin mixture and colored it. Pour out onto parchment or wax paper and all to solidify. Once solid, gently remove and place on a clean piece of parchment paper. It does sort of wrinkle on the back side due to the moisture at first, but it just gives it texture. Allow to dry hard...
MMF= Marshmallow fondant that is homemade.i don't know about it holding up in heat, but I'm definitely interested in finding that out too!! valerie
Ok, the gelatin was a great idea....but ran into a problem. As they dried hard over night they pulled the wire in and they are distorted looking and bent oddly. Any thoughts??? Valerie
OMG....chocolate clay covered cake! I've died and gone to heaven...I'm going to have to try this VERY soon!!!Valerie
Well, I made 2 sets, so I may try gluing the "holey" one onto some gumpaste and see what happens to it!! My other thought was to go ahead and make the frames of the glasses from gumpaste and allow them to dry a little bit, then pour the gelatin mixture into the hole in the frame where the lense goes. Surely the gelatin would cling to the gumpaste like it does to wire. Regardless, even if it pulls away from the wire, I can probably pop the whole thing loose from the wire...
Thanks for your quick replies!Meriel- just before I logged off earlier I saw your instructions for the dragon flies (which I love, by the way) and I thought "hmmm....I wonder if that would work for the glasses". So, I tried it!!! I couldn't get the gelatin to stick to my loops by running it through, so I pressed the wire down onto wax paper so it laid flat and simply poured the gelatin mix into the wire. Within about 15 minutes, I was able to lift them off the wax paper...
I need to make a pair of sunglasses to go with a cake I'll be doing next week. I was going to use gumpaste for the frames, but I'm wondering if there is a way to make the lenses look a little more realistic. Any ideas? Anyone ever do them with melted sugar (candy) before?? I've never dealt with sugar so I wouldn't even know where to begin doing that!HELP!!Thanks in advance!Valerie
If you did it exactly like the cake in the book, with all of those roses....atleast $100 or more, but it really depends on the area you live in, how much your materials cost, etc.Valerie
I use the wilton candy melts....they come in a variety of colors and flavor all you have to do is melt them down. I've even combined some of the colors to get a different color that I need for a project. If you want to color them, you will need to use colors specifically made for coloring candy. Your gel pastes that you use for icing will cause the chocolate to seize up and become hard almost instantly. If you wish to use your regular gel pastes or food coloring you'll...
Hello everyone!For those who have done a shopping bag cake, I need your expertise!! I think I can figure out how to do the actual bag, but how do you make the tissue paper coming out of the top? Fondant or gumpaste? Do you you shape it and then let it harden before placing in the bag, do I need to carve out the top of the bag a little before putting the tissue in it? Any tips or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!!thanks!valerie