Posts by rhesp1212

Thanks for all the ideas, I truly appreciate it! I hate it when I commit to a cake and then scramble to figure out how the heck I'm going to do it!!! LOL!! anyone have a good whipped icing recipe?? They don't want anything real sweet on this particular cake, so buttercream is out. I honestly haven't used anything other than buttercream and choc. buttercream icing. I love working with it so much! Thanks everyone!Valerie
I have a request for this for this weekend. I figured I could use a yellow cake and make it like a pound cake. But, typically strawberry shortcake is pretty soupy (the strawberries and liquid).....how could I do that in a filling so it doesn't just all soak into the cake?? any ideas of how to make this cake really taste like strawberry shortcake would be great!! THANKS!! Valerie
Take a look in my pics, I did a Navy cake for a dear friend of mine for his birthday. I did the Navy emblem in colorflow and then draped a fondant flag across the top of the cake. He LOVED it!! If you're only expecting a small group of people, you could make a cake in the shape of a Navy hat.Valerie
Kelly,I actually ended up using melted sugar instead of the gelatin. I couldn't get the gelatin to dry flat.....it kept curling up on me. Although if you can find a way to dry it flat you could easily cut it with a pair of scissors and then probably just heat it over some steam to bend it, then let it harden again. For the melted sugar, I ended up mixing equal parts of corn syrup and sugar in the microwave for about 6 minutes. Then I just poured it into the frames and let...
I would probably do them in just gumpaste...it will dry hard as a rock, and should hold up fine in the heat. Fondant/gumpaste mix doesn't dry quite as hard and would take longer to dry.Goodluck!!Valerie
I have to chime in my 2 cents here after reading all of this thread...which took me forever, by the way!! I have not been directly effected by this incident and I don't agree with what the person did by copying other people's photos and claiming them as her own. Ethically, I agree, it's completely wrong and the situation should be rectified. However, I have seen alot of talk about it being illegal to steal one's photos. If I'm not mistaken, unless you have paid to actually...
I'm sort of thinking the whipped cream will melt because you pour the ganache on while it's still quite warm. Also, if you are in a location where it is at all hot, both your whipped cream and your ganache will likely melt right off the cake. Personally, I don't ever use whipped cream for weddings this time of year, and I only use ganache as a filling or when it's just drizzled on the top of the cake (course I live in Texas and it's stinking hot here)!! If you're going to...
yea....I almost had a cake disaster by putting MMF into the oven at a low temp (170 degrees). Ummmm...marshmallows MELT!! I was making tissue paper out of MMF, and thought I would speed up the drying process a little by turning the oven on. It may work if you put your pieces on a cookie sheet, but I had mine on a cooling wrack for airflow underneath the pieces, and it melted thorugh the little holes in the rack. What a disaster!! However, I will say that once it cooled, it...
you'll need to dissolve the cornstarch in a little bit of COLD water prior to adding it to your sauce, or it will clump up in the sauce and leave you with little globs of cornstarch!!! Valerie
Yes, you can paint melted choc. or candy melts on the back, however with royal icing it's really not necessary at all. I've put royal icing flowers and decorations on a cake that sat for 5 days before being eaten (it was a practice cake) and they never deteriorated. It's color flow that you have to be careful with placing onto buttercream. Your royal decorations should be fine as is.Valerie