Posts by rhesp1212

anyone?
I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a 3D pig for 60 people. It's for a little girl's birthday, so it needs to look sort of animated looking. I was considering using round cakes with the bottoms cut off for the main body, but what sizes should I use in order to get 60 servings and how do they cut the darned thing? I'm afraid a 10" round is going to collapse either under the weight of the fondant or in transport.Any ideas??Thanks!Valerie
Veronica,Once the cake is iced, it seals in all of the moisture. As long as you don't have anything in the filling that needs to be refrigerated, the cake can sit out at room temperature for several days and still be perfectly moist. If it is a scratch made cake, it will tend to dry out a little quicker, but if she's picking it up tomorrow it will be just fine.Sounds like a great cake!!Valerie
I agree with PP....too much powder sugar. I live in a very humid climate and I never end up using the entire 2pounds of powdered sugar.You can try heating it up in the microwave for just about 10 to 20 seconds. Be careful, as the center is usually hotter than the outside. Warm it slightly and try kneading in more crisco and maybe a little corn syrup, which helps with pliability. Adding water will make a big sticky mess!If all else fails, start over!! sorry you're having a...
I don't have any templates to send you, but Wilton sells a scroll press kit. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby and Michael's craft stores. You just press it into the icing and then trace over it. It's wonderful!!!Valerie
I'm sorry you're so torn....that is an uncomfortable situation! Could you get away with just asking them to pay you for the ingredients to cover your costs? Otherwise, if you don't want to do them at all, just explain to them that with being in school, etc. you simply do not have enough time to take on cake orders right now. hopefully they can be understanding of that! I sometimes will make cakes for free for family and friends, but I don't buy them a gift then. The cake...
If you look in my photos, I have a shopping bag cake that you are welcome to look at for ideas. I did one laying down and a purse cake standing up, but you can apply the same building techniques that I did. Does the one standing up need to be standing straight up? It will be difficult to do a large cake standing up unless you make it quite thick and put lots of dowels in it for stability. You could always place it on a cake board and have it leaning onto the other cake (so...
Instead of cutting her head off, you could dress her up like Madoussa (sp?)= you know the mythical character with spiders for hair. Make her dress all black and tattered looking, black lacey gloves and spiders for hair. you could attempt to color the body and face whiter to make it look more ghostly. That way it's not gorry, but not at all girly either!!Valerie
THAT'S IT!!! Thank you sooooooo much!! I must have scrolled through 100 pages of pictures and couldn't find it anywhere!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It's a GORGEOUS cake!!
with something that vague, I would go with a pale sage green cake, and make pale yellow sripes on the sides. Maybe make some pale yellow fondant balls to put around the base of the cake. Then, on the top I would probably put something generic like a pair of baby booties from gumpaste, or even easier cut out a bib from fondant and drape on the top and sort of hanging off the cake. Go buy you some plastic baby pins from hobby lobby or Michaels in their Wilton section and...