Posts by Sassy74

Hello, all.  I've searched and haven't found specific threads addressing my need, so I'm hopeful someone can help pint me in the right direction.   I'll be making several fondant figures to replicate college band members, and I would love to know if there are any tips or tutorials for dressing fondant figures that are already made, but nekkid :).   I bought figure molds (like these...
My husband is incredibly supportive.  12 years ago, I left a career I loved, that was very challenging and rewarding, to be a SAHM and homeschool our two fantastic kids.  It's challenging and rewarding in different ways, but being a caker has been a wonderful outlet for me.  I'm a hobby baker, so it's not an overwhelming commitment but when I do a wedding cake or big celebration cake, I'm sucked into a cake vortex for days lol.  He has never, ever complained about the...
Mmmmmm, Drusilla Seafood!
Oh Lawd, piping is another of my pet peeves.  I avoid it if at all possible.  I've invested in several sets of Tappits, letter cutters, ANYTHING to keep me from having to pipe something on a cake or board lol.
You prolly have, but have you checked out Edna's rose tute on YouTube?  Also, this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkPhb-_gDg was REALLY helpful.  Haven't seen Mr Lodge's rose tute, but I did buy his Classic class and it was a-MAY-zing.  I don't feel like my roses are particularly realistic looking, but they def improved after a ton of trial/error and YouTube vids :).
I feel like I've improved as a caker so much in the last couple of years.  Thanks to CC, YouTube, Pinterest, and dvd's (Sugarshack!), I feel way more confident and competent.  But I know that no matter how accomplished I may feel in certain areas, there will always be others where I feel so intimidated and clueless.  There are skills that I don't have that I don't necessarily want to perfect.  For example, my figure modeling is pretty lame, but I'm not terribly worried...
Denetteb, that's exactly what I do . After the kids are in bed I'll pull out the gum paste and some random cutters/beignets and start making flowers. Before I know it, I look up and it's 1:00am. It's really relaxing to me. Chellescakes, I've also received calls from cake friends in need. It's wonderful to be able to pull out a handful of flowers or bow loops to give to a friend. I did airbrush a handful of roses and they looked fine. I do enjoy having surplus on hand! ...
I absolutely love to make gum paste flowers/leaves (hoping practice will make better, if not perfect), and over the last couple of years, I've amassed tons of random flowers.  I store it all in lidded plastic totes, in closets.  I mean, I have TONS.  Dozens upon dozens of roses, calla lilies, magnolias, hydrangea, fantasy flowers, totes full of ivy, rose leaves, hydrangea leaves, etc.  A mixture of all different colors and white.   I've been asked to do a small...
Thanks for the replies :).  I'm happy to say that I did manage to repair it to some extent.  I kneaded in a bit of MMF until it felt more workable, and just experimented with working it and seeing how long before it started to dry out.  I think I may have hit the magic spot, because I've used it so far for rose leaves and a simple 5 petal blossom, and it seems to be working out great!  Whew...hated the idea of having to scrap it.   And great idea about using it for...
I have a situation and I'm hoping for a bit of guidance from some gum paste pros :).   I've made NL gum paste several times and absolutely love it.  No problems.  However, I made a batch a couple of days ago and I think I made a big boo-boo.  I used liquid egg whites because I had some left over, and thought, "Hey, why not...I mean, it's egg whites, right???"  WRONG.   They made the mixture way too wet and loose, and I had to add a lot of extra powdered sugar...