Posts by nhbaker

I get these type of emails from time to time and am never quite sure how to reply or even if I should reply.  Not only because they are so vague but also because it's hard to tell if they're legit inquiries or maybe even another baker looking for competitors prices.  Anyone else get these and how do you reply?   Here's the exact email I received today:   Good afternoon I was just wondering how much it would be for a cake like this one? But instead of the little minion...
It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like piped buttercream.  I did something similar (pic below) but my ruffles went the opposite direction.   what i did was ice my cake in a light layer of buttercream (slightly thicker than a crumb coat) then I used large rose tip (like a 127), I put the larger end of the tip against the cake and held it at a 45 degree angle, I then spun the turn table as I squeezed the bag.  For my cake I worked from the bottom up on each...
Ooh, that's so wild...I remember that cookbook from my childhood...my mom still has it!   Seems like you're covered as far the recipe, but if you want to try another really good banana bread recipe, the one on the back of a bag of Gold Medal flour is one of the best I've tried.  Here's a link to it online:   http://www.goldmedalflour.com/recipedetail.aspx?idrecipe=35305-1&idcat=3&cat=Quick Breads
Is it me or from the smudges of brown frosting on the back of the box, does it look like maybe she slammed on the brakes, stopped too quick and the cake tipped forward & up hitting the front of the box and then set back down?  That would explain the cracking, etc. of the bottom tier only.  I'm thinking this is not your fault, you appear to have doweled it correctly, etc.  She either had to stop quick for something or totally forgot she had a delicate item in the back and...
Boy, made me think on this one!  Memories from my culinary school lessons came to mind but I had to go back to my reference books so that I could be sure I was giving you correct info   --  you are right in that certain cakes use fats and the creaming method to incorporate air into the batter but these only assist in the leavening process, cakes also depend on other ingredients, such as chemical leaveners, eggs, etc. for their height and texture.   here's a...
Hi All,   I've got a bride that's theme is fall/maple (has a sugaring biz on the side) and wants a wedding cake that is either maple flavored or has maple in it somewhere (eg. filling, etc.).  She wants me to try out some recipes before she makes her final decision and has provided me with some real syrup for my efforts.   I'm not a huge maple fan so I'm kinda stumped.  I've made her a pumpkin spice cake with a maple cream cheese buttercream filling (which is...
This is a first for me so I thought I'd share.  Long story short -- customer ordered a cake for the wrong date!!!!   My husband called me at work last night in a panic and says "a customer just called and wants to know where her cake is".  I was stumped.  I told him both cakes I had were for the next day and that I have signed contracts and everything.  So I asked my manager if I could call her (I wait tables part time so that's frowned upon).  She's answers the...
is this it?  If not, my apologies.   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1546004/a/1547004/day-of-the-dead-themed-wedding-cake/
I've been following this thread on and off for laughs, but don't remember everything that's been posted so I apologize if someone has already posted this or something similar   so, this questions makes me chuckle all of the time and since it just happened again this morning, I'd thought I'd post it here:   Caller -- "are you available to do a birthday cake for June 8th" Me - "I'm sorry, I'm already booked on that date" Caller - "ok" hangs up   30 mins...
I charge a fee for tastings and only do them for wedding cakes.  The fee gets credited toward the final cost of their cake once the order is placed.  The fee includes just the bride and groom and if they bring an additional people it's an extra $10 per person / max of 6 and this does not get credited.   I've found this weeds out the serious buyers from the tire kickers and keeps them from bringing the world with them to eat free cake.  Plus, should something...