Posts by Swede-cakes

So six months later, I finally get to create the pearl covered cake I'd originally posted about. I did use piping gel (thank you jgifford!), but I ended up squirting lines of sparkly piping gel on top of each tier while they were still chilled and used a small spatula to spread it around in a section. Then just gently let a small handful of pearls roll from my palm onto the gel surface and they stuck! Tweezers and a dab of gel for the ones on the side. I'm really glad I...
Thanks again, everyone! I worked up a price for the cake and she booked. Very excited to be able to recreate this cake!!!
OH! Ok, gotcha! Thanks Jgifford!
labella24, your cake is beautiful!! Approximately how long did it take you for pearl work?
LOL! I just found that other thread! Well, a watermark on that photo would have made this easier for me to inquire with the original baker about the method, but my detective work paid off. I backtracked through three separate Pinterests to find the photographer for the 2011 wedding that the cake was done for. She's in CO. So I suppose I could ask the Photog whom the cake creator was, but I think Jgifford and others have solved the mystery.I just found ivory sugar pearls...
Interesting! Ok, so piping gel should work. And seriously you think they're dragees, Jgifford? Those are known to crack a molar! LOL! I'd be inclined to use fondant pearls for the simple reason that there are SO many, the alternative is for guests to either have a crunchy bite of cake or scrape half the finish off their cake before they eat it. I'm going to half to find a way to estimate these babies!
Met with a bride who wants this cake, and when I looked at it, all I could think of was that the qty of fondant pearls on this must be...what...2000-3000?? When I count out 10 pearls in the photo, then kind of estimate 10 of those bunches, it seems like the bottom tier alone would have 800-1000! And they seem really small, like 5mm.Have any of you created a cake like this before with such a huge qty of pearls? I really need to figure out a price estimate for her by...
Thanks, Ursula. You confirmed my hesitation on the buttercream, so I'm going to nix this idea. I've done a LOT of leg work for this couple anyway just in the past week, trying to come up with requested alternatives to their 7-tier idea. Once they saw the prices I gave them for 7 tiers (both all cake and with decorated dummies) they realized that the Cake Boss episode they watched that inspired them was also going to cost them big time! Time to sit back and let them make...
I'm trying to find a way to incorporate the look of seven tiers for a couple without having a truckload of wedding cake leftover. This cake shown here looks like a neat idea that would solve our dilemma. I realize that the smaller tiers are ribbon covered dummies, but how would this be assembled? And more importantly, could this style be done with buttercream finished tiers instead of fondant? They REALLY don't want fondant. Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice!!
Thank you both for your responses. I've had only two couples request dummy tiers, and they both ended up just going with real cake once they thought about beautifully decorated styro tiers lying in the trash bin. As one groom said,"It's like seeing my cash sit in the trash barrel". We'll see what this consult brings on Saturday. Hmmm..costumeczar, that's an interesting way to think about it. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and see what sizes may work to do it...