Posts by heartsfire

Sometimes I even have a problem and I made up the recipe. LOL. I found that mixing well after adding each ingredient allows it to bind better. I have added all at once and seperately and definately notice the difference in the texture of the batter. I have also found that certain pans work better than others. The sports ball pan is one of those that I personally don't like to use because no matter what cake mix I use I have issues with the center being completely...
I have colored mine with no problems at all.
The receipe that I used is as follows:1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin 4 teaspoons cold water 1 cup heavy whipping cream - very cold1/4 c Confectioners Sugar 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract clear InstructionsCombine gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick.Place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves.Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla untilslightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add...
I know I am a very late on this - sorry!!! I haven't been in cakecentral in a while but am back now. I have received quite a few requests for the chocolate version of the cake and after testing different additions I think came up with the best conversion for chocolate. I posted this recipe a while back on cakecentral but I see they still haven't posted it. 1 Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix1 cup Sour Cream 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons1/2 cup water...
Well looks like this is going to take much longer than I expected. I tried removing the fondant which adhered to the cream cheese frosting underneath which adhered to the cake which is now in the garbage. If it cracks next time it will be the scream heard around the world.
I am making a 3 tiered wedding cake for tomorrow. I gingerly placed each layer on top of one another using dowels for support. I walked away to wash my hands and when I returned, the bottom tier has cracked almost in half. There is a crack running down the left and right side of the bottom tier. It wasn't there before and now? It's the GRAND CANYON of cracks??? How do I fill in the crack without having to take all the tiers off and starting all over again on the...
Ok so I used the wrong word...change rant to rave. Better?
I had heard so many people rant about Satin Ice so I bought some myself. I did a wedding cake with it the other day and loved it. The taste is fantastic and it handles so well. I use http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/tips/fondantchart.php for an estimate on how much I need when using it.
I was looking to see if I could find something on the internet regarding figure making but to no avail. I have made small fondant figures but nothing as big as the one you are looking for help on. Based upon smaller figures I would make the torso, head, hair and arms seperately and attach them using either small toothpick pieces or spaghetti. I would make the head more of a cone shape on top to hold the hair and not have it wobble when I put it on. I would also attach...
I cover my dummies with clear plastic wrap to protect them. Then I generally just cover the plastic with buttercream and then the fondant. I know it's a bit of work. I treat my tiers just like I would if it were real cake except I don't use the dowels. Just stack them and decorate. When I am done all I have to do is pull off the fondant and then grab the plastic from underneath and peel it away taking the icing with it. Then I have a fresh clean dummy to be used...