Posts by ateague

For the firetruck and dog, just find an image online, print it, cut it out, lay it on top of your fondant and use an exacto knife to trace it.  You can just go to google images and type in "firetruck" to find some.  I did this for my sesame street characters and the Chicago Bears logo on a cake.
Make the rkt very dense, not like you would for regular rice krispie treats for eating. I add as much cereal as I can (til it won't stick). Then put it into the shape you want. I also cover mine with two layers of fondant to get it nice and smooth. You can also roll your fondant a bit thicker so it doesn't look bumpy. I have not tried to apply rkt to pvc...not sure about that part. Also, be sure to let the rkt completely cool before you ice or cover it or the...
I have been asked to make a chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Since I only make a few cakes a year, I have never done a fruit filling, and so I have some questions.First, do you just put the fruit filling on top of the cake? Or do you have to put a thin layer of buttercream or a syrup on the cake? I know I should use a dam around the outer rim of cake to contain the filling. But was curious how to keep the filling from just soaking into the cake...or does that...
I have some questions about a pirate ship I'm attempting to make for a "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" birthday. First I wanted to make it small, like a topper for a 12" round. I was thinking of molding it out of rkt and covering in fondant. Does this sound do-able? Second, I have looked at many photos of cakes in the gallery. It seems many just use paper for sails on dowels. I was thinking of trying gumpaste, rolled super thin, and left to dry "rounded" on a soda...
I made a topper circus tent out of rice krispee treat. Then covered in white fondant. Added red stripes, a black door, and more white fondant as a swag around black door for the "opening" of the tent. I think mine went on top of a 10 or 12" round cake. Just put a dowel under it as the rkt can be heavy.
I am going to make some type of transfers for my twins' cakes (party in one week). One wants a monopoly board and the other wants a guitar hero cake (saw lots of ideas here, you all are great!) I just need some advice after reading a lot about them on this site. First, which is better: frozen buttercream transfer or royal icing transfer? Do I use the color flow mix stuff for both types? If I use crisco based icing can I do a transfer or do I need to use butter? ...