Posts by pinky73

I am positive that this question has been asked numerous times but here goes: I was just asked to do a babyshower sheet cake to feed 30 people. Since I am pretty new to this, I really don't know what to charge..well, what I think I should charge seems way too much. I have a friend that has had me making cakes for her and usually I give them as gifts (for her wedding, rehearsal, showers, family anniversaries, etc) She keeps telling me to charge but I'm not comfortable doing...
oh my goodness...why didn't I think of that??! You both gave me great ideas..both with the cake boards and with keeping the parchment paper ont eh bottoms, etc. I never thought of that and had those tools at my disposal the whole time. I think I will start to cool my layers, that might help too. Thank you for the advice, I will use it the next time!!
I am once again asking a dumb question and hoping that those of you with experience can give me some helpful tips. How do you torte your layers? I made a 9x13 layer, let it cool on the counter and used the Wilton leveler to split. I have heard of the Agby (spelling?) but I'm no pro and can't justify the investment. I had a really hard time getting those skinny (1" or so) layers of cake transfered to the board and then after laying on the filling, it was tricky to get the...
I too have found that my local Aldi's and Walmart brands are now trans fat free...but we have another grocery store that sells a generic brand called "Best Choice" and it has 2.5 or 3 grams...I can't remember which...but it was the only shortening that had trans fat. I bought 4 big tubs just to stock up.
Shellbell,LOL...We must have the same desk at work...My sticky notes are getting out of control. I even bought a little plastic/laminate type 4x6 picture brag book thing at walmart that I thought I would slide all of these sticky notes in to get them sort of organized and somewhat protected..well, that has now added itself to the pile of notes instead. Awesome. What 's really bad is when I find that I have written the same little recipes or tip on different notes...
I'm not very experienced with emulsions and oils but I have been trying them out lately...I started with some Lorann oils and used a few drops of rasberry in the fruit based rasberry filling I made for a WASC cake...it was supurb. It' didn;t have a fake berry taste and it really bumped up the raspberry flavor which is what I was looking for. I loved it so much that I then went online and ordered 10 other flavors..I'm looking forward to utilizing those in the future. Just...
The extender the other cc'ers have posted is the one I use and it's virtualy no-fail for me. Side note: I couldn't help but smile about your sticky notes...I do the same thing and have little piles of them with scribblings of recipes or tips and advice that I come across when lurking on here.
Once again, I am so glad that there are so many people willing to share their information! I have ordered the Princess and Creme Bouquet flavorings as well as some Butavan just for kicks. I am super curious to see if I can tell the slight differences between the first two. I had not heard of Wedding bouquet until this subject came up so I will see if I can find some of that too...just to confuse myself even more. Ha! Thank you for including how these emulsions are to be...
WOW! Thanks Jan!! It certainly seems that people love the stuff so I'm going to give it a try...what fun!! Thank you for the thread links also...very helpful!
He wants to be a bully and probablly tries to pull his passive aggressive routine on people in all of his dealings. I love it how he tried to turn it around on you as if you were the one being unreasonable by letting his order slip through your fingers. Puuhhhlease. I agree with the other poster that this is a power trip on his part and you will be doing yourself a favor to let him take his business elsewhere.