Posts by pinky73

Oh yes, you certainly will and have gone through the grieving process...A breakup such as yours is a great loss and you are right about the added insult of feeling rejected. I am so sorry for you and I know you are exhausted just thinking of it all...and with little ones, you often don't get the "luxury" of crying for hours..you gotta put on the brave face for them and take care of them as best you can. I know this is a cake forum but I don't think anyone will begrudge you...
I kniow this question is as old as the Ozark Hills but I'm asking anyway...how many does a 9x13 inch, two layer (each layer in 2 inches tall) with a filling, serve? This would be a "party cake" and if someone would tell me how big the pieces should be cut, that would be helpful. Sorry for asking this but I'm trying to get it stuck in my brain.
Doug's reply: For The Win!
I am very sorry to hear about your situation and I know how scared you are. While I can't give you any information on wages paid to cake decorators, I can give some food for thought as it pertains to juggling a full time job and raising two little ones. Beggars can't be choosers but in your search for employment, remember to pay attention to the work hours required and daycare availability. A few years ago my husband died unexpectedly and I have two small children, so for...
I will get the Wilton burgundy and see how that works for me...that's a good idea and thank you! I will also try the blue, red combo, I didn't think about that last night... Next time I make an order for supplies, I'm going to get some Americolor also....
I tried making magenta colored buttercream last night...it was a no go. I was trying to use Wilton rose, Wilton no taste Red, Wilton Pink...and I could never get a deep magenta or fucia color...I ended up with an obnoxiously bright coral color, definately had an orange hue to it versus purpley-pink. I pitched it and went with another color complettely. Is it time to get some Americolor gels? I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has because I seem to need this color more often...
The bride is off her rocker to not only claim that you ruined her wedding by the color of the ribbon but to continually keep the issue alive by her neverending emails. Let me say that you and all of us here know you did everything by the book and that her claims are completely unfounded. I am sure you are concerned about the nasty things she has threatened to say to the public and that would upset me too, I don't blame you. This bride is a bully and turning the other cheek...
Khalstead, Would you mind emailing me the serving chart also? Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. (mod edited. Must use CC email.)
thanks for the advice everybody. I sort of had a feeling it was a technique thing and it's something I will have to practice on for sure. The pressure on the bag and laying off that pressure makes sense, I'll remember that next time. I also understand about finishing with a bit of a swirl motion, I will give that a go as well. If all else fails, I will continue to pat down those little spikes. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your tips!
I have done both on a very limited scale. My scratch cakes were terrible. I have been using the WASC with great results and that works fine for me as a purely hobby baker so I prefer those. One thing I have learned from both experience and here on these wonderful forums is DON'T GIVE UP and do what is most comfortable for you. If you really rather bake from scratch, keep experimenting. If a scratch cake turns out to your liking, make notes to yourself about it, time and...