Posts by pinky73

Oh dear...I was asked by a gal at work to make a cake for her daughter's 16th b-day. She sent me a pic the girl found of the cake she wants, naturally it was from pink box so it's amazing..covered in fondant, topsy turvy, fondant flames and butterflies and tropical flowers. (If I can figure out how to get the pic she sent me posted here, i will) Mom said that it didn't need to be topsy turvy, just that the girl loved the colors and idea of the cake. I told her that the...
cutthecake: AGREED!!!
Oh dear, I feel that I have to chime in here...I work as the only secretary at our office and it is still unbelieveable to me how people have absolutely NO basic manners or a basic grasp on civility. I get the ol "who's this" in that irritating, indignant tone of voice at LEAST once a week, usually more often. Unfortunately I am not allowed to reply with anything like what I WANT to say, so I just repeat my greeting, with which I had already identified my office and...
Ditto on baking being a stress reliever, well at least most of the time. I am like texas sugar where I work in an office that is entirely men and construction worker types to boot and they are great at taking care of my baked goods so that I'm not still looking in the face of a triple chocolate monstrosity a week later. I also want to give a thumbs up to the Ronald McDonald House idea. Here at work, I am on a little outreach committee and one of the things we do is provide...
ooooohhhh....really good info, thank you. I don't know if I would have thought to check that!
This sis a bit off topic, but many have said the SUnbeam mixers have gone down in quality over the years...I don;t have one and I do have a KA my parent's bought for me for Christmas about 12 years ago..it works great and I don't know what I'd do without it. However, I also, around that time got a Singer sewing maching for my birthday because I sew ALOT, clothes, quilts, etc. My mom had a Singer and it was a work horse, heavy, permanently attatched to the wooden stand...so...
ALthough I haven't used it yet, I called my local small town pharmacy and asked if they had glycerin..they can order it for me and it's only a few dollars.
great links to cutting and serving charts...thanks..my printer is busy right now!!
7yyrt: one of my favorite words because it makes me giggle: gullet. Thanks for that, I needed it today! Also, thanks for the detailed breakdown of the measurements and resulting servings...that really helps...I knew when I put this two layered baby together, that it would serve more than 30 but didn't know how many more. Thanks again everybody!
Kakeladi: oh crap...I made this cake for a gal who needed it for a bridal shower and to feed 30 people...I charged her 50 bucks..oh dear...well, thank you for setting the record for me. I can see how a bunch of guys would devour it within minutes, it's like throwing a steak to the lions cage..at least it's that way around my office!Thanks to everyone for your quick and informative responses..I understand that once the cake goes out the door, there's not any controlling how...