Posts by pinky73

HI!I'm very inexperienced but have made two Tangled cakes. I placed the tower on top of a 8 or 9" round cake. I used ice cream cones, "glued" with Royal icing butt to butt to create the tower. I covered it with grey fondant rocks. I used a waffle type ice cream cone for the pointy tower top. I used a dowel threaded through the tower to secure it to the cake..but it wasnt as sturdy as I'd like. There is a picture in my gallery I think. There are many experts here and some...
Hello! I have always wanted to try that also..and I finally did last night. I covered a small 6" cake in fondant..also a first for me. I used a small dollop of gel food color and approx 2 teaspoons of vodka, mixed them together and got a thin "paint". I used a small, new paint brush and started to apply the paint to the cake. I was really happy with the results. I tried out black gel color last night and it was very opaque after going on the cake. I was glad to see that....
You were definitely not rude...just because she didn't like the answer, does not mean you were rude in "breaking the news" to her. In my job, which is just an office position, I have noticed a significant rise in ugly attitude from the general public who call in. I can't tell you how many times I have been called rude or worse simply because someone didn't like the answer to their question..and those questions usually have something to do with some sort of outrageous...
Thank you all for the repsonses..I had to stay home with a sick little one yesterday and didn't get back to the computer until now. I use "Best Choice" brand shortening because it still has a small amount of transfat. I've used Crisco in the distant past, had no problems with it but it has been years, probably before the recipe change. This issue could be related to the transfat. I noticed the butter weepin off the cake in question the next day after I had decorated it. I...
What in this world? Over the last few months, I have noticed that after making up my standard buttercream and decorating a cake, I will see little pools of "clarified butter" in spots..it's very weird. Especially if plastic wrap is touching the buttercream anywhere. or if I have left over buttercream in a bowl on the counter, the liquid-y butter collects and I can stir it back in,,,but it's concerning me. I do a tried and true (for me anyway) recipe of 1 cup butter, one...
Butter Drops perhaps? I know these aren't a drop cookie..but they are buttery and usually very small and round-ish, like a dollop or drop of something. Good luck with the sweets table, it sounds wonderful!
Yes, I did have to add alot of color to get the maroon..and after letting it sit overnight, it got very saturated with the color, which is great, but I now know that I could have used less color and still achieved the shade I needed. Lesson learned! I will work in some extra powdered sugar tomorrow as I need to make a few more small accents..I bet there will be a world of difference! thank you!
Oh! And thank you for the advice on using gumpaste in the fondant...that's a great idea, I had not thought of it before and I will definitely try it the next time I do fondant decorations. That makes lots of sense, to let the pieces dry a bit..and yes, I think my MMF was just too soft as well. Thank you once again!
Thank you all for the helpful advice!! I was in tears last night around 2 am when, after the THIRD try at cutting out the letters, I had the darn things stick to the paper template I was trying to use. I have to manhandle them so much, that I end up with smudges on the fronts and it ruins the whole thing. I will try all tips I have been given, thank you so very much, the cake is due tomorrow and I will be traveling about 2 hours away, finishing it up at my mother's house...
I am very new to decorating and especially fondant. I have done a few fonant accent decorations recently and they look great on the countertop..until I have to lift and move them, the dark colored pieces get smudged with the powdered sugar or more recently, cornstarch I use to "flour" the rolling surface. So all of my pieces have white, dusty backsides. How do you clean them up? Most times it doesn't matter too much..but I'm working on my high school reunion cake ( due...