Posts by LeanneW

Craftsy has a vegan chocolate cake recipe on their site: http://www.craftsy.com/recipe/vegan-chocolate-cake   FYI, some brands of puff pastry, pie crusts, and phyllo dough from the freezer section at the grocery store are vegan, just check the label to be sure there is no butter, eggs, or milk. This makes it super easy to make a vegan berry or apple pie! Using vegan dough you can modify recipes you already love without much extra effort.   Good luck and that sweet...
OOPS! I should have read further, you aren't making IMBC, you are making IM, also delicious.   Are you using a thermometer? Have you calibrated it? I wonder if you syrup is too hot?   Grab a cup of ice, fill it with cold water, stick your thermometer in it. If it is accurate it will read freezing 32 degrees.
 I'm curious too, which recipe for IMBC did you use without butter? I love IMBC and can definitely help you with troubleshooting, but I really don't know if it will help if you used something like margarine or shortening. Anyway, to resolve the "cottage cheese" texture issue of IMBC made with butter, I would take out a scoop, about 1 cup full, and microwave for 10 to 20 seconds or until just melted, not hot! Then with the mixer on medium I would pour the warm, not hot,...
I have used Marvelous Molds lace molds with great success! They are specifically designed to give the look of hand over-piped lace. They don't have the exact molds of this cake but I think you could make a very similar look by piecing together several lace shapes. Also Dominic, the owner/product developer/amazing mold expert is awesome... I'm sure you could call about getting it to you as fast as humanly possible!   Also, have you considered just hand piping this...
Option 1 - You could be to make the butterfly cake in one flavor, then make cupcakes in the other flavor and decorate them to go with the butterfly cake.   Option 2 - You could make a cupcake pull-apart cake with 2 flavors of cupcakes.   Option 3 - You could make this butterfly cake which uses 3 cakes baked in heart pans, some could be choc and some vanilla, you could even add a third flavor. http://thefrugalgirls.com/2011/05/how-to-make-a-butterfly-cake.html
Hi LyianaMarie,   You came to the right place and you are on track!   It sounds like you've actually got a lot of things figured out.   Will a normal 13x9 pan work since I don't need to make it to feed too many people? Yes, a 13 x 9 will work and will feed a lot of people, depending on how small you slice the pieces you could get up to 45 servings out of the cake. For the turntable part do I use a round cake pan? You could certainly bake an 8-inch round cake, in...
Seeing as you need urgent help I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. Disclaimer, I do not make WASC, but...   I would substitute coconut cream, you know the fatty part that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk, for the sour cream in the recipe.  Coconut milk and coconut cream are very fatty and thick which would make a better substitution for SC instead of for water.    I imagine you could also use a coconut cake mix instead of a white cake mix, and coconut...
Wow, amazingly I conducted my tastings in a VERY similar way to Antonia!   But, I baked 8-inch cakes that were torted, filled, and frosted, so they can see how beautiful each piece of their wedding cake will be.  I just love the way a cake slice looks with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling, especially if there is a beautiful pink raspberry filling in a light yellow lemon cake! I made 3 flavors, always a vanilla cake with fruit filling, always a chocolate flavor of...
We did a post a while back of an article we published in the very first issue of Cake Central Magazine. We have some great tips on how to photograph your cakes well without breaking the bank on equipment.   http://cakecentral.com/b/tutorial/cake-photography-tips
We published a recipe for bread pudding using cake scraps in Cake Central Magazine in October 2010. Below is a link to it.  You can use any flavor of cake scraps and modify the recipe by using a different flavor extract.   http://cakecentral.com/b/recipe/bread-pudding-recipe   Enjoy!